January entry in UK Universities

Kristian

Hey guys,

My situation is the following. I did not get my diploma in May because I did not reach the 12 required points in the HL subjects. I am retaking a few exams now in November in order to get my diploma and enter University afterwards. The thing is I would like to start University in January instead of having to lose an entire year but it seems that it is quite difficult to apply for January. I have heard that people have been able to start in January but I do not know how. If somebody knows how, please help.

Thanks.

I'd say it is unlikely. UK universities don't work the same as American/Australian ones, you need to do a certain number of credits every year to pass, you're part of a year group etc. You can email some that you're interested in, but I personally have never seen a January entry in the UK (except for exchange students, but that's a different thing entirely). 

• 2 months later...
On 26/07/2016 at 1:13 PM, Kristian said:

Hey guys,

My situation is the following. I did not get my diploma in May because I did not reach the 12 required points in the HL subjects. I am retaking a few exams now in November in order to get my diploma and enter University afterwards. The thing is I would like to start University in January instead of having to lose an entire year but it seems that it is quite difficult to apply for January. I have heard that people have been able to start in January but I do not know how. If somebody knows how, please help.

Thanks.

January start courses are possible but it depends on what you want to study and where. There are quite a few nursing January start courses. Universities like Middlesex university and Coventry university have few courses. 

Just googling regarding the name of the course you want to study and UK undergraduate courses January intake should give you some answers. 

www.studylondon.ac.uk/application-advice/faqs/january-and-february-courses

https://www.ukuni.net/articles/january-intake-uk-universities-2017

Edited by ChocolateDrop

yup, as @Gaby pointed out, I don't think there are January entries in the UK. However, for some courses like Computer Sciences in the University of Edinburgh, you can get a second year entry if you have the required grades (like 6 in Computer Sciences and Math HL). Do research on the university websites and see if you can directly enter the second year so that you don't miss your precious year! 

Hope this helps :) 

• mac117 locked this topic