Watching Movies for CAS

Guest thoughts13

Guest thoughts13

The CAS supervisor at my school had blatantly said that anything can be counted as CAS

as long as we can convince her.

Our school also has a 30 hour limit

meaning that only 30 hours of school related extracurricular activities can count for CAS

this is for both years, and for all categories.

What I want to do is to convince my CAS supervisor

that watching movies in school

does not fall under school related activities

No we're not going to critique the movies, but I suppose that I could do that for journal entries

I'm just looking for suggestions, and arguments that will convince my CAS supervisor

to exempt this activity from those 30 hours.

If it helps at all, I am also the person who started this club

Any and all help is appreciated

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, write critiques of the movies and send them to be posted in your student newspaper or something similar. Or you could follow the advice of the people above and form a club where you can discuss the values of films (esp. old ones) and you can have that as Creative and Service... Service because it's a club, you are organising it for the student body and it's free of charge.

• 2 months later...
The CAS supervisor at my school had blatantly said that anything can be counted as CAS

as long as we can convince her.

Our school also has a 30 hour limit

meaning that only 30 hours of school related extracurricular activities can count for CAS

this is for both years, and for all categories.

What I want to do is to convince my CAS supervisor

that watching movies in school

does not fall under school related activities

No we're not going to critique the movies, but I suppose that I could do that for journal entries

I'm just looking for suggestions, and arguments that will convince my CAS supervisor

to exempt this activity from those 30 hours.

If it helps at all, I am also the person who started this club

Any and all help is appreciated

^_^

we are dong the same thing in our school... cinema appreciation. which is like u watch a movie and then talk about it and write a review.. however you are lucky cause we only get 20 hours max.. we cant do more for the same thing :)

• 1 month later...

Personally, I do not think that watching movies should count for CAS.

I mean, I really think you guys should do something actually creative for your creativity hours.

Go take part in your school's art club or teach little kids to draw.

'Easy ways' of getting CAS hours you don't really deserve is not cool XD

No matter how nice your supervisor is.

Edited by 1-2-3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe you can host a movie night, open to both adults, students, teachers, and charge them money for it. They could pay for popcorn as well, or maybe they could pay money to dress up as a movie character and the best costume wins a small prize? You could donate all the money you make to charity and get Service hours. Because honestly, just watching movies doesn't sound like it has a lot of potential for CAS entries.

(Add to my last post) Oh yeah, and that way it wouldn't be a school event too, because you'd be donating the money to charity, which would not be affiliated with the school. Also, those who are not classmates would attend as well. You're only using the school as a venue. Therefore, not an extra curricular activity.

On a bit of a different idea, but what about watching a films that are in your B language? I'm not in IB yet, but would that be a plausible activity for creativity? You're putting in hours towards learning a foreign language, and I thought I read someone somewhere write that learning language can count for CAS.