maths IA behind flight routes

suraj kumar

As a second year IB student i have finalise my math IA topic, i was browsing different sites, I am very interested on the war structures eg- chakravyuh (in the epic mahabharata) as the resources were limited i moved towards the advanced flight routes, as my aim is to be a aeronautical engineer so moving with this i thought to model a best flight path for a long travelling plane, using calculus and taking other parameters, like air pressure, then speed of wind against or with the plane. any suggestions how to proceed? for both the topics.

Edited by suraj kumar

You should mostly figure out the specifics to your IA on your own or with your supervisor. Best flight path should be more specific: you can optimize speed, distance traveled, or energy efficiency. Just one, maybe two, from this list is enough. Note that unlike helicoptors, planes must take off or land with some small angle to the ground. If you find your IA too complex, just continue with some of the more important calculations and assumptions, unless the additional stuff demonstrate more math knowledge. 

One drawback to the war structures topic is that the IA may be mostly descriptive, which is hard to earn many of the marks examiners are looking for. If you can mathematically compare war structures then the topic should be ok. 

• Like 2