Organ donations

Gaby

I wanted to ask you guys what your opinion is on organ donations. Are you registered organ donors? Why? Why not? 

I feel it is an extremely important issue, an opinion even further reinforced by a piece of news I watched today. In Poland, there is a shortage of child donors, and thus, organs for child recipients. And it's not because children are not dying (unfortunately, they are), but because doctors do not approach the families about the issue. Because of that, even more children are dying, ones that could carry on living. 

I personally feel very strongly about the issue. Signing a donor register was one of the first things I did when I turned 18. 

But I want to know wha you think, given that we have such a wide array of nationalities, religions and cultures represented on the forum. 

If you want to read a bit more about it, I've written a blog post about this issue: https://arguablyhonest.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/one-signature-to-save-a-life/

Edited by Gaby
  • Like 1

I personally, greatly support the idea of organ donors! It is so important, that children and adults have at least a chance of survival with whatever condition they have. Additionally the prospect of organ donation, gives the families of patients,hope, which is so very vital for keeping families positive. 

Just like you said, It is so very important, this issue. Doctors should approach families, or at least communicate with the family doctor. Or, the NHS or health services of whichever country the patients live in, should address this issue, and make it a requirement, that doctors must address the issue with the families. 

On a positive note though:

Now that I have turned 18 =), I too, will be also signing a donor register. 

I think it is a beautiful thing to do, knowing that you could be saving a child's/ adults life when they need help the most. 

Thank you for bringing this issue to light!:) 

• Like 1

I honestly don't see how anyone would oppose it. It's just so...obvious.

I'm not 18 yet, but I'm planning on it. :)

The problem is that most people have never thought about it, or not enough to bother to go sign up.

I've heard that in some countries, you apply to opt-out from organ donation, so by default everyone donates organs. I think that is an absolutely brilliant idea.

• Like 1

I think organ donation is incredibly important!

Here in Germany it's incredibly easy to become an organ donor. You only have to be 16 (or have parents consent). Then you fill out and sign a little card. Done! you just have to carry it around in your wallet and if you don't want to be a donor anymore you discard of it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lea:) said:I think organ donation is incredibly important!

Here in Germany it's incredibly easy to become an organ donor. You only have to be 16 (or have parents consent). Then you fill out and sign a little card. Done! you just have to carry it around in your wallet and if you don't want to be a donor anymore you discard of it.

Hm, weird! I wanted to become one but I had to go through some tests. . I also live in Germany.

Back to the main topic - I think being an organ donor is a great thing which can save thousands of lives. Don't know why people are so hesitant to become one. I don't have the possibility to become one, but I try to encourage people to become donors.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mac117 said:

Hm, weird! I wanted to become one but I had to go through some tests. . I also live in Germany.

Back to the main topic - I think being an organ donor is a great thing which can save thousands of lives. Don't know why people are so hesitant to become one. I don't have the possibility to become one, but I try to encourage people to become donors.

hmh that is weird...

maybe there are different ways to become a donor or maybe you had to take test a while ago but not anymore? When was this But look here you can just print or order one: https://www.organspende-info.de/organspendeausweis/bestellen

If you check the FAQ section it also says that there is no organ donor register in germany and that having that card is enough.

As to why people are hesitant to be donors: I think there are some people that won't do it for religious reasons. In some cultures it is believed that removing organs can inhibit the person's after life etc. Also a lot of people probably don't want to think about their own death

6 hours ago, Lea:) said:

hmh that is weird...

maybe there are different ways to become a donor or maybe you had to take test a while ago but not anymore? When was this But look here you can just print or order one: https://www.organspende-info.de/organspendeausweis/bestellen

If you check the FAQ section it also says that there is no organ donor register in germany and that having that card is enough.

As to why people are hesitant to be donors: I think there are some people that won't do it for religious reasons. In some cultures it is believed that removing organs can inhibit the person's after life etc. Also a lot of people probably don't want to think about their own death

Ill check it out, thanks! sadly I can't be an organ donor but I'll send it around :) 

edit: I feel like sometimes people are afraid they won't get the "full help" when they become donors, as if the doctors wanted them to die so they could use their organs. No joke that's what a friend of mine believes, and he's not alone in this. "What if I only died clinically?" was his doubt. I see the point but doctors can't simply let you die because you're a donor. It doesn't change anything when you're alive anyway - when will people get this?

Edited by mac117

12 hours ago, mac117 said:

Ill check it out, thanks! sadly I can't be an organ donor but I'll send it around :) 

edit: I feel like sometimes people are afraid they won't get the "full help" when they become donors, as if the doctors wanted them to die so they could use their organs. No joke that's what a friend of mine believes, and he's not alone in this. "What if I only died clinically?" was his doubt. I see the point but doctors can't simply let you die because you're a donor. It doesn't change anything when you're alive anyway - when will people get this?

There are also a number of tests that need to be done before you're declared brain dead, and they're done a few times to confirm it. And I highly doubt doctors ever want the feeling that they let someone die. 

1 hour ago, Gaby said:

There are also a number of tests that need to be done before you're declared brain dead, and they're done a few times to confirm it. And I highly doubt doctors ever want the feeling that they let someone die. 

It is kind of ridiculous, but those who are not really in the medical field/interested in this stuff have a lot of misconceptions. 

To be honest our schools never teach us about organ donations, just about transplantstions. Which is probably the key issue here.

9 minutes ago, mac117 said:

It is kind of ridiculous, but those who are not really in the medical field/interested in this stuff have a lot of misconceptions. 

To be honest our schools never teach us about organ donations, just about transplantstions. Which is probably the key issue here.

I haven't even been taught about transplantations. And I think it's a big mistake. It honestly shouldn't be an American TV show educating me about it. 

• Like 1