French B or Ab Initio?

Guest TheMagical7

Guest TheMagical7

I've heard of French B SL and French B HL, yet, there is no option to choose between the two for my Yr 11 courses, just French B. (I'm in Yr 10 now.)

The main thing I want to know about however is what grades I could expect to get in French B and Spanish Ab Initio and how much effort I have to put in for them. I'm generally one of the better French students in the class and I get about 90-95% consistently so should I go on with French B SL? I hate Orals though these days.

I've heard a lot about Spanish Ab Initio being far easier but what grades would I expect and how much effort does it require in Yr11/12? Is it at a Yr 9/10 French standard of learning or even faster? Spanish Ab Initio is only available as an after-school class session and not as part of school-hours. This means we only get 2-3 hours or something like that from the Language of Schools. 

If you say you get easy 6-7s in Spanish, please identify your background and previous knowledge of Spanish .__.

Thanks for all the help...

• 1 month later...

I can only speak from experience as an Ab Initio student, though I'd wholly recommend doing French B SL as you seriously won't regret it. 
So far, from my experience with French Ab, I've found the pace to be highly manageable, even slow at times. I presume this would also apply to Spanish.
Though there is certainly a lot of value you'll get from B SL, namely, not having to adapt to a new language and achieving some real fluency with the language. 

Anyway, both choices should be fine.