What do you think about my math IA idea? (Prisoner's dilemma)

MajorProcrastinator

Hey guys,

So for my math exploration, I was thinking of doing something that has to do with Prisoner's dilemma (Here is a pic explaining it). My idea was to first explain and analyze the theory, and calculate the chances (in percentages/fractions) of Prisoner A & B's options, and later show the reader which option is the best one to take with the help of theory of probability. I would later put this in examples, like in economics, during the cold war (nuclear stockpilling) and so on. I am really nervous concerning this seeing as it is so easy to choose a bad idea, and would like to have someone else's perspective before I start.

Thank you in advance!

The Prisoner's Dilemma is a good topic to choose. You can express the payoffs (and probabilities for each) in a tree diagram. Additionally, you could also calculate the expected prison sentence (i.e. expected value, E(X)) for A and B. It would be insightful to see how these expectations change when the payoff matrix changes. Be sure to explain why the changes happen and then you can add your part about economics if you see fit. Create your own example if you can and relate it to your everyday life to make it more personally relevant.

Hope this helps.