Foods that reduce stress and boost focus

ephika

ooohhh nooooo, deffinalty not beer :)

psych 101: context dependancy

if you study while you're high/drunk/on a caffine hit etc. than you'll perform better in in the same condition when you have to recall that info.

SIGH....

I really wish we could take psychology where I am... one of best (if not the best) subjects in IB. I agree with your opinion, however.

One of the best things you can do is get lots of sleep. Something like 9 hours or so a night, as developing a pattern like this keeps you more active and fresh the next day, allowing you to do your best throughout (I tried it, it really works!).

• 4 weeks later...
Omega fish oil = amazingness

Anyho, nuts such as almonds and peanuts work well as well. Avoid artificial sugars, really avoid them.

I agree. Especially the Omega 3 oils. You can find them in salmons or simply in small capsules in sale. (Even my bio teacher recommended it to us)

I gather that many advise to avoid sugary things, artificial or non artifical. But I simply can't stop to eat something sweet when I work late in the night :)

It rather helps me to concentrate. I suppose it depends on the person.

TEA is also very good. Relaxing, warm, harmonising etc.

I bought a collection with different tastes to try them all out. :unsure:

They help a lot.

Edited by hermine0817

Chew some gum whenever you're stressed. The coaches do it.

This is what I do... but it's not good in the long run.

I have problems with my jaw where my ligaments are loosened due to overuse haha.

It's not just because of gum... but gum surely doesn't make it better.

Okay since people already listed what to eat.

I'll list what not to eat:

1. Snacks

2. Soft Drinks

3. Sweets

And what to do:

1. Exercise to reduce stress.

Definietly agree with the exercise.

It isn't necessarily a food but it does WONDERS to reduce stress and boost focus. Plus you feel really good.

I think it boosts serotonin which makes you happy. Clears your mind. Keeps you in shape.

Dates !? eek. I would say no. I have no ides what your talking about Manhuta, but I am very interested <3

Anything to get energy up.

And wait. So eat Carbs or no at night? Cause I often feel empty and depleted without some, but then with some I feel tired.

honey is definitely a good one to have. I have recently discovered also that drinking coffee + exercsing like crazy for a short burst of 90 seconds or something (put on DIVA by Beyonce, blow your mind!) will make you able to stay awake for such a long time. First night, no sleep = chem. Bus ride home sleep = 1 hour. Get home, all night so far = Bio. Beyonce + Coffee = A on tests.

Owh.. so your name is Maha..

Ya. Dates is good. I love dates too but can only found them during fasting month.

To biochem, dates is actually good as it can also helps to prevent from hunger. You should try them. But it may be hard to get dates source at US. Try to go to Muslims groceries if there's any.

Raisins could be another alternative too. Anyone like raisins?

I know for a definate fact that dates boost energy AND memory. Dates are something I always have, especiallly the period before and during my exams.

Honey as well, same affect.

I tried it, and it worked. :ashika:

Just wondering, do you guys have dates where you're at?

Fresh or dried?

Chocolate is yummy... I tend to err, gobble up all the chocolate though so that's not good for me. Oops. :ashika:

It surprises me that none of you have said spirt / vodka... It really helps me relax... and sit som extra hours with my homework..

this has already been said.

and what i'm about to say has also been said in this thread:

if you drink alcohol and do something, you'll only be able to recall what you've done if you drink again.

in other words, if you're drinking and studying for an exam the only way you're going to do good is if you're drinking while writing your exam.

trust me, there are many days (namely mondays since i'm in lectures for 12 hrs) when i want a nice cold drink but i refrain because i know it's only going to hurt me in the long run.

Yeah apples are really awesome. Fruits > sweets and coffee. Eating natural things is better for your body. Reducing stress and boosting focus involves sleeping early. At least 8 hours but apples do help a lot.

i agree with the apples, not so much the sweets though D:, i'm a sugar fanatic.

surprisingly they are actually really good at keeping you awake, better than coffee even (yes, that's right, i just said apples are more effective at waking you up than caffeine)

but i'm not entirely sure about the stress factor...

• 2 weeks later...

I find chocolate really wakes me up when I'm feeling sleepy whilst I'm working. Plus it releases that cheer-up neurotransmitter, right? Serotonin, or I'm talking crazy? But not too much, otherwise I get distracted :sick: I'm a chocolate addict.