Math SL IA

sendoffire

Hello everyone!
I need to figure out what I'll be writing my math IA about before 7th of September and I'm freaking out! Before summer my teacher showed us some examples of good and bad IAs and the ones that scored 18-20 marks are the ones that I totally didn't understand because they were so complex, and it honestly scared me! So when I tried to understand what I want to write my IA about, it was hard for me to even settle on a topic, because whenever I thought about something, I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to write a lot about it and thus dropped it.

Finally I settled of the easiest topic I could think of - Pythagoras theorem. It's one of a few that I'm confident I know well enough to write about. But the thing now is to understand how I can discuss this topic and investigate it.

Can you think of any aspects of Pythagoras theorem that can be explored deep enough to write a decent IA? I thought about writing about how this theorem is used in everyday life, but nothing comes in mind...

I will appreciate your help so much!!!

In my opinion the Pythagorean theorem is too simple. What exactly will you do? Prove the theorem? This has been done a million different ways. Are you using the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of something?

I recommend reading these IAs for inspiration and come up with a different topic. These are easy to read and show a lot of personal engagement.

Florence Nightingale (got 20/20): https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/live-exist/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e&part=2&chapter=8

Horse Jumping (got 15/20): https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/live-exist/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e&part=2&chapter=14