Math SL for studying IT

Ymin2000

It really depends on the country and even university you want to apply to.

I know it's possible to study IT without maths HL in the US, but the college credit you'd get doing HL would probably be beneficial. A friend of mine does IT with Management and he did maths SL and comp sci HL.

In the UK computer science requires maths HL. It quite possibly is the same for IT, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cant say much about Canada, but if you call the unis you'd like to study at I'm sure they'll give you an appropriate answer.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ymin2000, 

As mac117 suggested, I would also highly recommend Math HL, as it will give a lot of college credit (you could even skip a year depending upon the university). Coming to the universities, most Ivy League or equivalent universities will require you to give the Math 2 Subject Test, which even though can be passed if you're doing SL, but doing HL will make it a breeze. Most premier universities in the UK like Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and others not only demand a Math HL in your IB Diploma, but also with a 7 or 6 in it and at least 38 overall grade. In Canada and rest of the world, most universities also require you to do any of the natural sciences (physics, chemistry or biology) or also accept computer science or ITGS (Information Technology in Global Society). 

However, it is not that you cannot get an admission based on Maths SL. A friend of mine is doing computer science in Australia after doing Maths SL in IB. So depending upon your university, I would advice you to contact your teacher to obtain information from them or you can send direct emails to the universities. 

Hope this helps :)