IB Subject Choices

Felix Lauren

So as I'm doing Pre-IB/MYP at the moment, my school is making us choose our subjects relatively early. So far I've got

HL Lang Lit, HL Psychology, HL Biology, SL Chinese B/French Ab Initio, SL History, SL Mathematical Studies

I was just wondering if this was a good combination of subjects. I want to pursue a degree in Psychology when I'm older, I will be going to the UK from HK. So I'm most likely going to study for a MA (Master of Arts, but can also be seen as a Bachelor of Arts/Humanities as I'll most likely study in Scotland). So are these subject choices suitable?

If you're sure that you want to pursue a degree in Psychology, British universities like seeing at least one science (Psychology would count as one), but taking two sciences would be helpful (UCL, for instance), wants a 6 in at least one, "preferably two" sciences, so Biology and Psychology would be great for that.

Having this said, and I cannot stress this enough, for the love of God, choose higher level subjects you're good at. If you're good at science, I'd without a doubt go for it, but just to put this into perspective:

When I entered the Pre-IB, I was sure I'd be taking Math HL, Economics HL, and Philosophy HL. I'm now doing Math Studies, and not taking Economics at all. My friends in other classes didn't know what subjects to choose, and it's been a week, and while it's been a jump it's not been hard or anything and they're already struggling, and some people are thinking about dropping classes.

When it comes to choosing subjects, choose the subjects you love and that you're good at. 

Edited by beth-
  • Like 1

Hi, 

It sounds like your really interested in the humanities, and your subject choices couldn't reflect that better. So don't worry about your subjects. The last poster has pointed out that your choices make you a competitive candidate. 

I think now you should focus on how you'll do well in these courses. People have told me psychology and biology require intense memorization. Overall, I think you will have a pretty balanced schedule but do well to keep yourself competitive.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...