Chemistry IA - Independent variable requirements

Avenoir

Is there any set rule or structure towards choosing the independent variables for a chemistry IA? For my IA I want to vary temperature, however there's a possibility that I won't be able to vary it uniformly (ex: Trial 1: 30.1, Trial 2: 35.6). As such, is it okay to write down the independent variables as what was actually measured and just mention that in my analysis? Also is it okay if there's a significant leap between trial variables? (ex: It's easy for me to do a trial at 0 degrees, then trials at 30 degrees and up).

• 4 weeks later...

What you proposed are all good, as long as you can draw convincing arguments. For example if you say graph is linear from 25C to 40C, but its actually exponential then you need more data. So then extreme values can help verify the relationship and so there can be less data in the extremes. Think of titration, you shouldn't add equal amounts of titrant each time, so if you are focusing on a specific temperature range it should be acceptable. 

• 1 year later...