How hard is IB Art HL?

OlqK

I am starting the IB program and i took Art HL, because I was always interested in it and really enjoy drawing. Before I did IGCSEs, but didn't take art. However over the summer I had private art lessons and I am totally OK with working and learning A LOT. How hard will the course be for me and what are the general requirements for students who are taking IB art?

Edited by OlqK

Guest beyondtheimagine
On 8/31/2016 at 8:53 AM, OlqK said:

I am starting the IB program and i took Art HL, because I was always interested in it and really enjoy drawing. Before I did IGCSEs, but didn't take art. However over the summer I had private art lessons and I am totally OK with working and learning A LOT. How hard will the course be for me and what are the general requirements for students who are taking IB art?

Art HL is not hard! It's just the amount of work that you have to put into it; is where most people start to find it hard.

What type of general requirements are you specifically asking about? Skills? Grades? 

Art is not hard as long as you finish your work on time.When you make artworks you need to consider the techniques and concepts used by artists .Your comparative study -which is basically your chosen two artists' artwork being compared- is 20% of your final grade.External Assesment -which is your artworks -is 40% of your final grade and exhibition is 40% of your final grade. It's not hard and there is not much difference between Art SL either.This is my second year in IB and I don't find this subject that hard.Plus on exam week you don't have art test or anything(since you have exhibition)so you get time to study on your other subjects for the exam.

Good luck!

21 hours ago, beyondtheimagine said:

Art HL is not hard! It's just the amount of work that you have to put into it; is where most people start to find it hard.

What type of general requirements are you specifically asking about? Skills? Grades? 

I mean how the fact that I didn't actually  do art as a subject before will affect my lessons this year?

3 hours ago, I.tothe.B said:

Art is not hard as long as you finish your work on time.When you make artworks you need to consider the techniques and concepts used by artists .Your comparative study -which is basically your chosen two artists' artwork being compared- is 20% of your final grade.External Assesment -which is your artworks -is 40% of your final grade and exhibition is 40% of your final grade. It's not hard and there is not much difference between Art SL either.This is my second year in IB and I don't find this subject that hard.Plus on exam week you don't have art test or anything(since you have exhibition)so you get time to study on your other subjects for the exam.

Good luck!

Could you please share some general tips on this subject?

On 9/2/2016 at 10:49 PM, OlqK said:

Could you please share some general tips on this subject?

Here are some general tips:

-Never miss the deadlines.If you feel like you need some more time,ask your art teacher for an extension.However,it depends on your teacher if they will give you an extension or not.

-If you haven't finished your artwork in class don't resist to use the art studio in your free periods.Art teachers appreciate when you use your free times efficiently for your artwork and they will make sure you have space in the art studio to finish your work.

-When doing an artwork make sure that there's an artist that you can link your artwork to.Let's say you're doing Baroque painting,you can link that artwork to Rembrandt since he is well known for his Baroque paintings.

-Your workbook is very important.You will write your comparative study in this book.Also,your artwork process,explanations,writing,use of formal elements,link to the artist and etc. goes here.At the end of the year, your workbook and artworks is going to be graded upon the criteria.

These are some tips I can think of right now.Also to answer your previous question if art will affect your classes.Not with making your artwork because you took private art lessons,but you may struggle a little with your workbook.However,I'm sure you can overcome that too since you said you're ready to work and learn a lot.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me.I can help you with your workbook if you want.Also,you can ask your art teacher for help too.I'm pretty sure they will help you.

Best wishes!
  • Like 1

On September 4, 2016 at 1:44 PM, I.tothe.B said:

Here are some general tips:

-Never miss the deadlines.If you feel like you need some more time,ask your art teacher for an extension.However,it depends on your teacher if they will give you an extension or not.

-If you haven't finished your artwork in class don't resist to use the art studio in your free periods.Art teachers appreciate when you use your free times efficiently for your artwork and they will make sure you have space in the art studio to finish your work.

-When doing an artwork make sure that there's an artist that you can link your artwork to.Let's say you're doing Baroque painting,you can link that artwork to Rembrandt since he is well known for his Baroque paintings.

-Your workbook is very important.You will write your comparative study in this book.Also,your artwork process,explanations,writing,use of formal elements,link to the artist and etc. goes here.At the end of the year, your workbook and artworks is going to be graded upon the criteria.

These are some tips I can think of right now.Also to answer your previous question if art will affect your classes.Not with making your artwork because you took private art lessons,but you may struggle a little with your workbook.However,I'm sure you can overcome that too since you said you're ready to work and learn a lot.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me.I can help you with your workbook if you want.Also,you can ask your art teacher for help too.I'm pretty sure they will help you.

Best wishes!

Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fellows,

I aint taking Visual Arts, but I am keen on Arts. Indeed, I am planning to pursue something related to it in the future. I was reading the comments above and I have some doubts (remember I don't take it as an IB subject): for Visual Arts, regardless of its level, is it necessary to be very good at drawing? Or is it preferable to have the creativity, imagination and analysis skills to comprehend what the artist did? The IB relies a lot on analytical skills, for example Lang and Lit you don't need to be a writer and a connoisseur of the synaesthesia... as long as you grasp its use and its relevance! I wonder if Arts is the same?

Also, what kind of works do you usually do? Well, this is kinda of an answer to my previous quest but do you do like essays or paintings or...?

And as to your quest, you did well in choosing Arts HL. If you are planning to pursue something relaed to the Arts, its very important, despite some universities/degrees don't really demand specific subjects, having taken HL does distinguish you! Moreover, the effort an SL student has to put comparing to an HL student isn't that much different. To corroborate what I have just said, the VA teacher at my school does not let anyone take SL (he says he doesn't lecture SL...). In spite of being a lil radical, I kinda agree with him. So good luck, and don't fear the subject! The subject fears you!

Cheers,

Richard 

• 1 month later...

I'm very late. I hope you're finding it good so far! It gets better when you start working on your exhibition pieces. 

This is my second year of HL Visual Art and I regret not regularly working properly in my book. Now I'll have to work extra hard in my process journal to have good pages for the examiners to see. In fact, my whole class has completely ignored work in their books for ages. This can have a huge impact on your final grade. If your comparative study and your exhibition are really strong and your process journal is poor, that'll really bring your grade down.

That's my advice to you. As long as you stay enthusiastic and put in a few hours of work on your process journal a week, you'll be absolutely fine! Just do some extra research into artists you're interested in or get inspiration from, plan pieces, sketch, brainstorm, reflect, trial and error... anything you can think of and everything you do, just put it in your process journal! :) What's great is at the end, when you have a few books filled with great pages, you'll only have to pick a small selection of your best pages to be sent to the IB. If you haven't worked on your book that much, it'll be harder to find sufficient pages.

• mac117 locked this topic