Can one use animation in Visual Arts HL Comparative study?

KoalaHugs

For the Visual Arts HL Comparative study can one use animation or picture books?

I was thinking of focusing on art in childhood, and the things that influence us throughout life, such as Disney, Studio Ghibli, Dr. Seuss, etc, but do these things count under film or literature, not visual arts? And, can I use film stills or certain pages in picture books, and possibly reference repeating symbols throughout the rest on the book and movie, or should I just find normal visual art pieces that are influenced by these things?

Thanks!

Hey there,

I used an illustration from a popular children's book for my Comparative study, which is apparently allowed. This illustration was originally done on canvas with acrylics so it counted as an artwork. So illustrations from children's novels are okay, and bonus if they're concepts for an actual animation too. However, when I tried to do this same thing with an animation my teacher didn't allow it. She said that using an animation (that isn't short, and purposeful eg. like William Kentridge's animations) that is narrative based isn't appropriate, and is like "shooting yourself in the foot" in the formal qualities section. It would be very hard. My advice, (take it with a grain of salt) is to either use concept art, illustrations or a series of storyboards from a particular artist (animator) instead. In particular, stay away from feature length films if you do end up analysing a 4D piece, short films would be best. 

Your process portfolio would be wayyy better for narrative type animations, in fact I used one in my own. Stick to basic 2D, 3D works for the comparative study. At most you if find some artist who animates, you can still make connections in the comparison section of the task between their work and your own. Anyway, hopefully thats helpful. If your teacher advises for it then go ahead, and good luck!!!