British Unis and Math Studies

Alix

A lot of people have told me that many British universities do not accept Math Studies students but i want to take Political Sciences in uni and i have 4 highers in IB (Eng, Econ, Hist, and French) so i was wondering if i applied to somewhere such as Oxford or Cambridge to study political sciences or international relations, will they really not accept me on the grounds of math studies? Because i thought taking 4 highers is impressive to unis and that maths doesnt play a major part in politcal sciences or int. relations. Could someone please enlighten me? :)

Yeah, Oxford and Cambridge have pretty high standards. But pretty much any other university than those five most "respected" wouldn't probably mind if you had Studies. You aren't going to need a lot of arcus functions when studying political sciences.

I've applied to St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham and Aberdeen for International Relations and French, and I'm doing Math Studies. I haven't yet received back answers, but none of the courses state any maths requirements so I decided to drop down from SL to Studies. I really don't think it matters for politics, since it has nothing to do with math. And the most important elements are included in Studies, like statistics.

Well, math studies might be ok for a non-mathematical course. On the other hand, when I was at Cambridge Open Days and asked about having four HLs, they said that if you have 4 they will still only consider 3. And one of my friends who had 4 HLs got an offer from LSE specifying certain grades on HL excluding French B HL.

To supplement to what Scade said: 4 HLs won't make you look more impressive. But if you do well on the interview, you should have no problems getting into a political science course in Oxbridge. Your best picks would be SPS (Cam) and History and Politics (Oxford) seeing that you don't stand a chance for PPE without SL Math.