English HL Written tasks

laurawa

I'm still a teeny-weeny IB1 kiddo, but I've heard that it's not exactly easy to get good marks from a poem. It'd require a very good understanding of various literary devices, and you should probably be experienced in writing poems, or at least reading and understanding them. But then again, you probably wouldn't be considering a poem as a possibility in the first place if you weren't interested in poetry.

Post scriptum: heja Finland!

Ohhoh, onpas tänne nyt tullut viime aikoina paljon suomalaisia. Terve vaan Ouluun. :P

Writing a poem is a killer because you'd have to make it a [i]very[/i] long poem. Even though the word count for WTs is combined, they should be pretty well balanced between the two. It's not a good idea to have a 100 word poem and a 1000 word cultural written task (or whichever option you've chosen). On the other hand, you don't want to be too far from the maximum word count. It all depends on the examiner, of course, but it really is a huge risk to do a poem. On a side note, we've also done Frost, and I do agree that it is possible to mimic him, but you really need to be gifted. There's also the risk of mimicking too closely, which will again bring your marks down.

I have to say, I think that writing a poem might coin a new phrase of 'gradal suicide'. If it's not a serious task which is going to count towards something, give it a go, but if it's important, stick to what's safe!

Would be fun to try, though, if you're brave enough! :]

[quote name='laurawa' post='27588' date='Nov 2 2008, 10:54 PM']Hey, I'm supposed to be doing my first Written Task now and I was thinking of doing the Literary Option first. Has anyone ever written a poem and if so, is it very hard to get good marks? I was thinking of maybe writing one mimicking Robert Frost's style.[/quote]

Writting a poem isn't as easy as it sounds. A lot of thought needs to be put into it and you have to use all sorts of literary techniques which is no fun either! I suggest you do something else which is a lot easier so you can get higher marks!

Dutch A1 SL (self-taught)
English A1 HL
Geography HL
Chemisty HL
Math SL
Physics SL

Thank you all. We practised writing written tasks last year and I wrote one poem as well. My teacher thought it was excellent even when he was being really strict. So it's not like I don't know what it's like to write one, in fact I know exactly how hard it is... Also, I switched to Emily ****inson (not sure if it was a good idea, though). And even if I totally fail it I can try to do the second one a lot better. I'm doing this (actually, I have two days until the due date and I've started already so I can't stop now). :)

Miksei suomalaisetkin voisi innostua IB-foorumeista? :P

Do you really lose marks if you mimic an author's or poet's style too well? That sounds ridiculous, it just proves that you actually appreciate the stylistic devices that they use.

Suomalaiset on mahtavii :P Vaik asunki Jerusalemis. Samahan se.