UK Universities and IB

Sunflowerr

No, I think it's a well-established fact that they prefer A Levels over IB. Anyone denying this must be crazy. For example, the standard Oxford offer is AAA and standard IB offer is 42 with 7-7-6 at HL. For LSE it could be AAB but they want you to have 6-6-6 (or 6-6-7) at HL and 37 points. It's not worth doing it unless you are actually interested in the [i]education[/i] instead of where it takes you. IB allows you to study so many things that A levels don't, but it is more work.

Thanks for the reply. You don't have to get mad at me for the fact that Im wondering if I'll get into a good university with the IB. I AM interested in the education, why else would I want to get into a good university? If the IB and A levels would have equal chances at unis, I would take the IB, but I dont think I want to sacrifice a good uni for a good high school education.
I still might do teh Ib, it depends on many things including my parents, money, grades this year, the school itself and my own decisio, but ill probs do it.

Edited by Sunflowerr

It does depend on the course a little bit, too.

I mean, like Dessi said, the grades are just ridiculously biased away from IBers. On the other hand, stuff like CAS activities win you a shedload of brownie points on stuff like your personal statement and give you opportunities to tick every single skill on the PS list (leadership, teamwork, generosity, curiosity, blah blah blah), so you do have a couple of things which compensate. Also, a lot of the oral presentation stuff in the IB does a heck of a lot for your presentability :]

Grade-wise, it's just a joke. When 42 REALLY becomes equal to AAA, I shall eat both my big toes on toast.