Should I Take HL History or Art

Karla B.

Hello! So I'm starting my first year of IB this year and there were mistakes made in my schedule. Due to this mix up and the number of classes available for TOK resulted in me not having it in my schedule at all. I sat down with my teachers and was told that I had to drop a HL class to balance out my schedule and make 3rd period available for TOK. Our school has four years of IB classes running for the first time so that's why there isn't loads of classes available for each subject and if you are from Chicago you know about the budget cuts, firing of teachers, and cut of supplies. Some advice would be great!

My schedule at the moment (1-8 period):

HL PSYCHOLOGY

SL SPANISH

LUNCH

HL ART

HL LITERATURE AND LANGUAGE

SL ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE

HL HISTORY

SL MATHEMATICS

Due to some teachers only having one period for juniors, the only classes I could change are art and history :mellow: There isn't another class available during first period

Please  elaborate as to why I should take the class if you do respond :D OH! As well as what would recommend doing so I could succeed in the course :) 

THANK YOU!

Whatever you're more interested in, would enjoy intensely studying for the next two years, believe you would get the highest grade in, and need for university. 

This is too subjective and this is a decision you need to make. History HL is an intense course with an incredible amount of workload. I wouldn't take it on a hunch. I'm not taking art, but from what I've heard, there's a lot of work to be done there too (as there are in all HL courses). It's arguable that history may be more "useful" for university (unless of course you want to study art) as it's an essay-based subject and more traditional (but you're already taking English Lang&Lit HL), but it all depends on what you want to study (if you want to do Law, for instance, go for History).

Edited by beth-

1 hour ago, beth- said:

Whatever you're more interested in, would enjoy intensely studying for the next two years, believe you would get the highest grade in, and need for university. 

This is too subjective and this is a decision you need to make. History HL is an intense course with an incredible amount of workload. I wouldn't take it on a hunch. I'm not taking art, but from what I've heard, there's a lot of work to be done there too (as there are in all HL courses). It's arguable that history may be more "useful" for university (unless of course you want to study art) as it's an essay-based subject and more traditional (but you're already taking English Lang&Lit HL), but it all depends on what you want to study (if you want to do Law, for instance, go for History).

So I ended up choosing History HL :) I've always been into history especially the major wars which the first year we're going to focus on. I was going to ditch it, but I'm not as confident in art as I am in history. Plus, it requires loads of time to plan out and sketch out loads of ideas and that's one thing I need to spend well. Thanks loads for the reply, it helped me ease off the decision I literally made like 8 hours ago.