Publishing my work leads to fail??

violentrabbit

Hi,

so I take Visual Arts HL (now Y13), and am preparing my artworks for exhibition 2017. Would I be in any sort of trouble if I published photographs, sketches, etc. onto the internet?

For example, could Turn-it-in find it and penalise me (based on the same photographs, writing, etc.) even if the work was completely mine anyway? I understand that the IB is extremely strict when it comes to plagiarism, so I have refrained from doing so so far... but I had this idea a while ago because I think writing it out informally at first, maybe even presenting it online to an audience and getting feedback on techniques/processes etc. would be good for my final write-up/projects.

Can anyone help me out here? >_<

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, 

I was wondering how does the IB check for plagiarism in the Visual Arts course (for the visual content, like photos and images). I take Visual Arts HL Photography, and I am just worried that some of my content might show up online because I tend to publish stuff on Tumblr and such. My friends reblog my content and it's a heavy chain of reblog-repost action. Do you think I'll fail my diploma? It has been getting to me lately. 

If caught, they do contact you first, correct? I mean, you must be given a chance to explain yourself after all.

Someone help out a sister! I can't even focus on my exams...haha

On 9/9/2016 at 9:57 AM, violentrabbit said:

Hi,

so I take Visual Arts HL (now Y13), and am preparing my artworks for exhibition 2017. Would I be in any sort of trouble if I published photographs, sketches, etc. onto the internet?

For example, could Turn-it-in find it and penalise me (based on the same photographs, writing, etc.) even if the work was completely mine anyway? I understand that the IB is extremely strict when it comes to plagiarism, so I have refrained from doing so so far... but I had this idea a while ago because I think writing it out informally at first, maybe even presenting it online to an audience and getting feedback on techniques/processes etc. would be good for my final write-up/projects.

Can anyone help me out here? >_<

10 hours ago, ZoeH said:

Hello, 

I was wondering how does the IB check for plagiarism in the Visual Arts course (for the visual content, like photos and images). I take Visual Arts HL Photography, and I am just worried that some of my content might show up online because I tend to publish stuff on Tumblr and such. My friends reblog my content and it's a heavy chain of reblog-repost action. Do you think I'll fail my diploma? It has been getting to me lately. 

If caught, they do contact you first, correct? I mean, you must be given a chance to explain yourself after all.

Someone help out a sister! I can't even focus on my exams...haha

Help yourself to be on the safer side by imagining a curious examiner doing a reverse image Google search and finding your image and all the things that might be running through his head. Hope I helped with that sentence. Cheers.

If you do decide to publish online, then before you do make sure you do something that will offer proof in case you are questioned. You could store it in an Google Doc that you don't edit, send them to your coordinator through email, etc. It just needs to be something that you offers firm evidence of date and authorship. If you do that, then whatever happens, you will be able to defend yourself.

• Like 1