[H] IB Music HL papers in may, how to prepare?

sAviOr

Try to study the defining features of all the musical periods:

Ancient Greece

Medieval

Rennaisance

Classical

Romantic

Impressionistic

Modern

Also, try to study the music of various world cultures:

Traditional Japanese

Indonesian Gamelan

Oceania

Latin America

Scottish Bagpipes

Africa

Middle-Eastern

Indian (Raja?)

American Jazz and Gospel

..more I can't think about right now

When you are studying these features or analyzing specific musical selections try to pick out the:

Melody

Meter

Harmony

Medium

Form

Style

Context

If you have any questions about specific musical eras, world music cultures, or stylistic feature I will try to answer it to the best of my ability, but know that I am no "expert" on it.

Btw, what is your prescribed piece this year?

Oh really? Wow, that is what we did last year.

I though that they would assign new pieces every year. The year before I took the test, they had Concerto for Orchestra by Bela Bartok.

But Dido and Aeneas... eh... its an easy enough piece.

Remember basso continuo, and ground bass, along with features of french, italian, and english baroque present in the piece.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Melody

Meter

Harmony

Medium

Form

Style

Context

If you have any questions about specific musical eras, world music cultures, or stylistic feature I will try to answer it to the best of my ability, but know that I am no "expert" on it.

Btw, what is your prescribed piece this year?

I would put Dynamics in there to. thats what we learnt at the last AMIS (The Association for music in international schools)

Me

Me

Ha

Me

Fo

Dy

Sty

Co

try remembering it like that. it works for me.

Oh really? Wow, that is what we did last year.

I though that they would assign new pieces every year. The year before I took the test, they had Concerto for Orchestra by Bela Bartok.

But Dido and Aeneas... eh... its an easy enough piece.

Remember basso continuo, and ground bass, along with features of french, italian, and english baroque present in the piece.

Yeah, they give the same piece and change it every 5 yrs or so. May 2010 candidates will be getting a totally new piece to analyse... which pisses me off. @.@;; I honestly dislike the teacher I have right now... He's a crappy teacher for being a big cocky show-off. <.<

Yeah, they give the same piece and change it every 5 yrs or so. May 2010 candidates will be getting a totally new piece to analyse... which pisses me off. @.@;; I honestly dislike the teacher I have right now... He's a crappy teacher for being a big cocky show-off. <.<

Oh that sucks.

By a "big cocky show-off" do you mean that whenever you analyze music and discuss it, he yells at you for missing *insert* stylistic feature, and *blank* instrument, and that only an idiot would miss that? lol

Because my IB music teacher did a bit of that. I just thought it was hilarious though.

But others dropped out.