Infinite surd

sheepdog9

Hey all,

i kinda got a problem. I'm doing this math assignment and it's about the infinite surd. I really don't get it and was wondering if anyone could help me on with.

i really need a reply a.s.a.p because i have to finish it within two days. i've been really busy and havn't had the time to look at it yet. An explanation would be very useful!

Thanks!

Dutch A1 SL (self-taught)

English A2 HL

Chemisty HL

Geography HL

Math SL

Physics SL

The questions is about finding the general formula of sqrt(K+sqrt(K+sqrt(K+sqrt(K........ (sqrt = square root/ surd)

i really dont get it.

BDW i can't open the attachment you posted :D. i think it would be better if you didnt send me your file, so that i can stop myself from plagerising (or however it's spelled).

i could really use someones help!

Thanks

Dutch A1 SL (self-taught)

English A2 HL

Chemisty HL

Geography HL

Math SL

Physics SL

Edited by sheepdog9

Well... I don't know what you have, but my way of solving those is to look at it visually and make it in to an infinite series that approaches the final value, then let Sk = Sk+1 and solve it mathematically for any unknowns, because at the infinite point, all of the values are equal. I've been able to use this method to solve infinite resistor problems and stuff, not sure how useful it is here. It's also nice to use maple or a graphing calculator to find your answer before you get it in surd form, to check it.

Well, if the surd is:

sqrt(K+sqrt(K+sqrt(K+sqrt(K...

Then I would let Sn = sqrt(K+Sn-1)

At n approaching infinity, Sn = sqrt(K+Sn)

At this point, given K or Sn, you can always solve for K or Sn. This method can be very powerful cause of the assumption it relies on, but I can't really explain it in any way other than simple logic, being that at Sn approaches a value, then at the value, Sn = Sn+1. Hope that helps.

• Like 2