Math IA Topic - Rocket Trajectory and Landing Them using Maths

Yousaf05

Hello Guys,
So our advisor has asked us to submit an outline for the Math IA we intend on doing and then after looking at the outline they will approve it. So after some wandering and research I have sort of decided to do an IA relating to rockets. This is sort of theoretical physics but not quite since I will be exploring the trajectory of the Falcon Rockets and using some of their data from the successful attempts.

Now I am into technology, physics and maths (I plan on doing math related major later), so this topic does have that personal affiliation IB looks for. Just wanted to ask you guys would it be appropriate for an IA? also in the outline we have to mention what math we will be using and the only topic that came to my mind on the spot are trig functions, differentiation, geometry and maybe integration. Can you please help with what topics regarding maths would be used for the IA title? Thanks!

Personal engagement is about your own approach to solving the problem, not necessarily (or limited to) any personal gains or interests of doing this topic. Suppose you are interested in rockets, but you transcribe others' equations completely without providing any original insight/approach/questions then you probably won't get any personal engagement points. 

I think this is a good topic. Trig, geometry, and calculus should be enough breadth of syllabus. You don't have to share with us, but in your outline you should be more specific about what kind of phenomenon, characteristics of a rocket launch you want to look at, and how you are going to approach your question. 

• 1 month later...

Ahh alright! My old math tutor advised that Calculus and Vectors would be enough for the investigation.

So what I think is that I look their basic trajectory equations or form them using easy or maybe some hard math. Then apply calculus to its trajectory points and find different values for acceleration, velocity and all. Describe optimal velocity required and such. Then use vectors and some other math to find the proper time and place the rocket so make a turn and land properly.