Further Mathematics Discontinued?

Enneagram

Heard some rumours about the Further Mathematics curriculum being discontinued i.e. Further Mathematics being scrapped as a subject, wondered if it's true. Also, is there any literature on the rationale behind 'Euclidean Geometry and Conic Sections' being removed as an option of Mathematics HL? Thanks.

I believe there is official IB documentation available about IBO's reasoning for this change. You could ask your teacher to check the OCC (Online Curriculum Centre) for documents on the new curriculum, they might be able to give you an explanation. It is true that Further Mathematics is being discontinued, at least this is what I've heard from several sources.

I believe there is official IB documentation available about IBO's reasoning for this change. You could ask your teacher to check the OCC (Online Curriculum Centre) for documents on the new curriculum, they might be able to give you an explanation. It is true that Further Mathematics is being discontinued, at least this is what I've heard from several sources.

Thank you, deissi. Were all the sources you heard it from within OCC (or from someone who could access them)? I'm not currently being taught the I.B., so I don't have a teacher who can check. Just wondering if there was any documentation outside that.

• 1 month later...

That's a bit of a shame, actually. I've always been fascinated by the course.

As for the Euclidian Geometry option unit, it hasn't been in the Math HL course since the 2006 syllabus change, so no news there. They probably just decided that interest in Euclidian Geometry no longer seems to compensate for the fact that it's an obsolete topic.

Edited by Mr. Shiver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That's a bit of a shame, actually. I've always been fascinated by the course.

Yeah, me too.

As for the Euclidian Geometry option unit, it hasn't been in the Math HL course since the 2006 syllabus change, so no news there. They probably just decided that interest in Euclidian Geometry no longer seems to compensate for the fact that it's an obsolete topic.

I see. Shame there, too! Wasn't the Euclidean Geometry/Conic Sections option included along with the other options in Further Mathematics?

I know for sure, my fm teacher -a deputy chief examiner - told me that Further Mathematics SL, is being discontinued but it will be replaced with a HIGHER LEVEL only subject

Further Mathematics HL, it will include one new chapter, Linear Programing to make up for the extra hours,,,

Interesting news! Linear Programing, sounds interesting...I hope they still include Conic Sections...assuming they included them already...an appreciation of Euclidean Geometry and Conic Sections are very useful for physics!

- xP

Edited by Enneagram