books for children

saori

Well I want to write my EE from english B1 from Chronicles of Narnia. Unfortunately my english teacher is not sure whether Extended essay can be from books for children. I personally dont see why not. Nothing in guide is written about it.
So what do you think about it?
I don't have exact topic yet, i'm still thinking but i have some ideas.

[quote name='saori' post='27780' date='Nov 4 2008, 11:53 AM']Well I want to write my EE from english B1 from Chronicles of Narnia. Unfortunately my english teacher is not sure whether Extended essay can be from books for children. I personally dont see why not. Nothing in guide is written about it.
So what do you think about it?
I don't have exact topic yet, i'm still thinking but i have some ideas.[/quote]

Personally, I don't the series as a child's book, rather a novel. Though it is popular amound children I believe that if there is literary analysis of the novel it should be suitable for an EE. I'm doing my EE in physics so I wouldn't know other than from just heresay but, doesn't it have to be a comparison? if so find another novel that maybe acts as a foil and there could be a great english essay. also check for maybe an alegory behind the book. I've never read them, but perhaps it reflects the social or political views of the time as many great novels do. Good luck!

You can do children's books, no worries. I read an EE once on The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and Harry Potter (essay was about the theme of good and evil).

Also, a girl in m class is doing her EE in English A1 on Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter and the BFG by Roald Dahl. So if she can do that, you can do Narnia.

Just pick a chronicle that's not so commonly read, and try think of an original theme. You can't really do all of the chronicles, so maybe pick one and compare it with another book?

The christian theme is a good one.

Maybe you could compare one of the series to compare to one from His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman.
Some people compare him as the opposite/character foil of C.S. Lewis. C.S. Lewis is promoting christian themes while Pullman is pretty much condeming or portraying the Catholic church in a bad light.
They also have similar stories in some ways.

if you are doing the entire series that is going to be a lot of work i think, and are you going to be able to get very detailed? i am pretty sure you would be able to find supporting material from other sources though on christian theme. just make sure that it isn't goingto be too much,becuase i just worked with the themes and symbols of Lord of the Flies, and i think that mine didn't get deep enough coz there was jsut so much.