Twilight series: Good literature?

Aether

This summer I became completely obsessed with the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, and I completely fell in love with Edward Cullen!! However, in my Spanish class we read " The Unbearable Lightness of the Being" by Milan Kundera and it changed the way I perceive literature. Now I consider Twilight series to be quite superficial.. good, yet superficial...what do you think?

as a piece of literature it isn't any good, but as a story it is amazing.

it isn't compariable to the work of those yu read in IB.it is just afuin read,but i am with you in that obsesion boat.... NOV 21st the moviecomes out here and i know it is gonna suck but i am stillgoingto go see it.

Whoo hoo! Twilight fans!!!

I agree with you both, Twilight might not be great as a literature read.

It is exciting and it really really sucks you in however there really isn't many universal themes and they are not developed to really great depth.

However, if you loved Twilight, I highly recommend for you all to read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

It was recommended by Stephenie Meyer and is an AMAZING book. Some even say that it is better than Twilight...

Just wondering, have you guys read Midnight Sun yet.

Stephenie Meyer put her draft online after it was leaked out.

It is Twilight from Edward Cullens point of view. However, it stops at the meadow scene so I just wanted to warn you in case you didn't want to read it if it was uncompleted.

I can't wait for the movie either. *excited grin*

It looks like it will be good, even though a lot of the cast looks a little "off."

It looks like it will be good, even though a lot of the cast looks a little "off."

I think that the cast is A LOT off. But then again, I guess it depends from each person's point of view. I will try not to go see it, because I liked the books and I wouldn't want to ruin the image I have of the books, but I will probably end up going anyways.

The Twilight series was good, but it could have been better, especially the last book. I had the impression that Stephanie Mayer just wanted to get it over with, and crammed everything together...

I absolutely LOOOOVE the Twilight series, but I don't see it as good literature, but still a very enjoyable read.

Our English teacher once asked us what we considered as literature, and hence define what literature or good literature is. In the end we realised that most of what we consider as literature most importantly tends to impact the reader greatly and make them think, whether it is because it has opened the reader's eyes to something they never thought about before or it addresses a very important (or even controversial) issue in society.

So following this definition, as much as I love the Twilight and Harry Potter series, I would not consider them as good literature (though I can confess I have read those books many of times over :D )

I love the Twilight Series also.

And I don't think the movies will be amazing because the characters she has developed in the story are just to "deep" to ever be portrayed by humans.

But still I love the Twilight Series. Sure, it's not the most advanced piece of literature by any means, and doesn't have a common plot or theme, but the book is still a great fun read. I would recommend it to all.

I must admit i adore elements of the Twilight Series however i wouldnt consider it good literature in sense its quite superficial compared to The Kite Runner for example. As The kite Runner is drenched with meaning and twilight isnt. Even though i like The twilight series it is merely an exploration of a fantasy. ><

Edited by lysie-berry-cake

the movie comes out in three days!!! i am going to go before all of the high schools let out hopefully so i can get a seat.

i am not completly happy with the cast but i cna't resist.

do you think that they rushed into the movie?

Yep, Edward was sooo perfect in my mind and before I had time to finish the fist book they had already posted the first trailer. Not to mention that there is no way that they can portray the internal debates in most of the characters that make the book worth reading.

Yea all the kids in my class have read at least first book, they say its soo amazing and it you will literally not put down the book so im going to start it soon better be worth my time!

it iwll be worth your time. i read the last bookin one day i was so sucked in,i don't think i stopped to eat.

I haven't read any of the books, but I saw the movie and was slightly disappointed. There was so much they could have done visually. There were way too many 360 degree camera movements and there were parts that just got boring. Plot wise, I thought it was okay. It was entertaining, but some aspects seemed a bit cliche to me. But then again, I'm a tough critic.

The movie when I see it is gonna kill me inside, I know this because of the casting and other movies the producers and directors have done (ALL bad movies) However I'm seeing it with a friend I haven't seen in 2 years so it shouldn't completely kill me. I've seen some of the scenes online in little snippets. The acting is dry and probably isn't any better in any of the scenes not online but I will endure. As has already been said, it isn't good as literature but it still makes me upset that some people refuse to read it because "There are too many fangirls" or "It's not an actual piece of literature" I enjoyed the first 3 books and am trying to convince my friend to lend me book 4 (not working) Anyhow now I'm just ranting XP Long story short same thing that pretty much everyone else said ie) Fun book, not IB book, then end.

As a piece of literature, it's terrible, but as an entertainment book, it's okay.

I personally did not like it, I tried reading the first book but Bella complained like every second single page I just couldn't do it. I don't want to read about someone who views themselves pathetically, has low self esteem and is submissive to a creature, nor do I want to hear about how stupid they are for searching vampires on the page or whatever.

In other words, I love the idea of the story but despise the main character, ego, I can't read it since it's written in first person.

• 2 weeks later...

If you compare Twilight to a great novel like Wuthering Heights, Twilight will surely loose in the 'better literature' catagory :D

BUT i have to say i am in love with the novels! They are a good read, but out of the whole series, i only loved 2/4 books (Twilight and Breaking Dawn). I really hope Steph Meyer publishes Mindnight Sun! THAT is going to be an amazing read!