Twilight series: Good literature?

Aether

But if I read them I have to buy them... :| not sure it's worth the money.

I think you should go for it and buy the books because they can be quite addictive (I'm not sure that's a gd thing tbh XD )

And like I said (once upon a time) I actually liked twilight and who knows u might like it too.

The author, Stephanie Meyer, can paint very vivid descriptions (though she does go overboard) and there are a few interesting characters in the series who you may find interesting.

At least buy the first book it is the best (or the least cringe worthy). Arent you curious why the majority of the female population of this earth is obssesssed w/ Edward Cullen? :(

Oh and I'm refraining myself from going into a rant about why i think you should not buy the books at all especially breaking dawn

I will also recommened a spoilery lolarious summary of the twilight series including midnight sun by Cleolinda She also has a movie parody up!

And yes, I used to be. Not so much any more but the username stuck :D

Oh, I used to be too but I came to appreciate other ships as well. Still a diehard HP fan though.

Edited by 3!sha

The more I read about the the more I really don't think it's my kind of book...But I agree that an alarmingly large number of female are obsessed with Edward Cullens - I have lost count of the number of my friends on facebook alone who have turned Twilight fans and whatnot :)

From what I've read of Midnight Sun and seen of the movie and heard of the plot...it seems like a pretty sappy, cringe-worthy romance worthy of Sweet Valley High :)

This made me lol

post-3-1230284571_thumbjpg

PS: I managed to find an ebook version of the whole series...I'll wait till I'm done with Twilight to comment.

The fact that Twilight is more of a superficial novel that the one you have read in class, even makes it more intresting. Twilight being a superficial novel adds this spice to it, which makes it more intresting in analysis. It my school, it is now added to the curriculum for 9th graders this year. You may want to look at the extent that Twilight could be a realistic story, and how could it be one.

It my school, it is now added to the curriculum for 9th graders this year.

That's an insult to literature.

Anyhoo, I've tried reading twilight as I said, and it sucked. I love vampires (twilight has little to do with vampires if you are looking for a story about vampires), and it was boring (unless your thing is new girl meets hot popular guys, 2 hot guys love new girl, and then new girl has to choose, she chooses hotter guy).

And Edward sparkles.

I actually went ahead and told my dad about twilight, I told him its a story about vampires and love, and that Edward the Vampire sparkles, he then looked at me in shock and horror and burst out laughing, telling me it must be a stupid book and this is the first time he hears that a vampire sparkles. I told him that is true.

Edited by Leen

Ok...so I managed to find an ebook Twilight online and managed to finish it last night. I'm not sure whether it's the fact that I've been expecting the writing to be bad that I found it bad or not. But seriously, about 3-4 chapters in, the book was already getting on my nerves. Up till the part where they had that conversation in the forest (chapter 13 I believe) and Bella really finds out that Edward is a vampire, the whole story was dragging incredibly boring and full of whining Bella that just totally drove me mad. But having read the Midnight Sun draft (which, considering Edward's deeper emotional struggle than Bella's constant Why does he hate me? whining, was much more interesting), I made myself read on.

First, I know Bella's a teenager, and teenagers tend to moan a lot, but is it really necessary for us to be subjected to 25 pages of Bella going on about her move to Forks and how miserable it was there before we actually got to the crux of the book - the vampires?? Ok, grant you, considering the book was aboug a few hundred pages, half of the first chapter wasn't that much. But seriously, when I read it, it seemed to be so much longer because quite frankly...all it tells you is that she moved to Forks, her father doesn't talk much and it rained a lot there! And you know what? These facts are repeated throughout the book. As if we might forget! Yes, we know it's cold, wet and miserable in Forks! That's why the Cullens are there!

Which brings me to the next point...which is, Meyer just needs to learn to get to the point! Hasn't she heard of 'less is more'? There has to be ooh-aahing over how beautiful, angelic, godlike, wonderful Edward is in every other page (if not every page).

He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt open over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating arms bare.

This really really really cracked me up. It really sounds like the author was trying to throw big words in to make the writing sounds more intelligent, basically making the whole description a huge joke, because the whole description just becomes totally unnatural. But then maybe that's the point and I'm missing it. He is unnatural.

So some might say she uses vivid description, but I beg to differ. When you overuse words like Adonis-like and whatever other term she uses, it's over-pushing the point and generally annoying. Yes. we KNOW he's gorgeous, quit harping about it already! Please, for the sake of teenage girls everywhere, there has to be more to Edward than just being beautiful. ...Oh. Right. He's also awesome at everything and there isn't anything he can't do. Gary Stu much, anyone?

I wouldn't say Bella is the incarnation of Mary Sue, but she does have some glaring Mary Sue traits. Let's go down the check list. http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm >> Edward actually passes (or fails, depends on how you look at it) with flying colours. He, at least, is definitely a Gary Stu.

*Her name: Bella Swan. Beautiful Swan? Yeah. Well. (Makes me think of Elizabeth Swann as well.) -- Bella is also the name Meyer wanted to use for her own daughter and apparently Meyer loves Bella "like her own daughter". One could say that Bella is what Meyer wants her daughter to be if she had one? (Though honestly why anyone would want a daughter like Bella...)

*Considering the number of guys who fall over at her feet, we can say she's pretty, if not beautiful - Edward says she is but let's just say, for the sake of argument, that he's biased.

*Yet, at the same time, Bella goes on and on about how she's clumsy, never had anyone attracted to her, never had a boyfriend ad nauseum.

*At the same time, no one seems to mind/tease her about her clumsiness.

*Everyone loves her, for whatever reason. I mean, come on, the whole school gathers at the hospital when she had that accident. (Does no one make them go to school?!? Where are the teachers?)

*She's smart and ahead of all her classes. Wow.

*Her family situation is pitiful (and everyone must pity her for it) because her father's emotionally distant and her mother's immature.

*She's free to do practically anything she wants because her father is always away and her mother doesn't live with her.

*Point 22 of the Mary Sue test, you answer.

Does your character become a genetically, scientifically, cybernetically, or magically altered/enhanced being, possibly with new powers?

Is he/she happier this way?

Do people like him/her better this way?

Do you wish it would happen to you?

Was your character kidnapped specifically for some type of experiment or project in order for this to happen?

Sigh. I rest my case.

You know, this series is targeted at teenage girls but the message it gives really really worries me, though I would like to think readers are mature enough to see through it.

I shouldn't have to say this, but let me keep some faith in human intelligence. Please. Tell me that the girls who are just totally in love with Edward Cullen and Twilight realise that Bella and Edward's relationship is totally superficial. Why is Bella in love with Edward? Well, he's hot, you see. Does she wax lyrical about anything else about him that isn't his physical beauty? Erm...no. Yes? Care to point it out to me? I thought not.

I couldn't allow him to have this level of influence over me. It was pathetic. More than pathetic, it was unhealthy.

This is perhaps the most sensible thing that Bella ever uttered in the entire book. And she realises for ...how long? Oh, a couple of seconds. Then she goes back obsessing over Edward and how he much he hates her and could never love someone like her. While I wouldn't say I'm a feminist activist but really, what is the point of fighting for gender equality when the result is this? Bella practically clings to Edward because the moment she meets him, she doesn't care about thing else other than him. It's more than pathetic. Well said. Pity she forgets it moment she remembers just how unbelievably angelic, godlike blah blah blah Edward is.

Let me just take a break to say that I can be romantic. Actually, if you read my fanfics, you'll see that sometimes I'm overly so. I more often than not write romance stories and I understand the fascination and attraction of a story of true love that could lead to the lovers be willing to die for each other and all that. That's not what annoys me with Twilight. It's the fact that's there's nothing but Bella-Edward in Twilight. Nothing. Bella's father hardly even knows she's dating him. Edward's family accepts Bella and doesn't give her any grief. There's no struggle from Bella of what will become of her parents/friends/family etc if she becomes a vampire. Just Bella and Edward teen-angsting over how beautiful each other is and how they love each other and the only thing that stand between them is that he wants to eat her. Yes, there's finally an evil vampire that is out for her blood in the end but that's just a ploy to show how great and noble the Cullens are their willingness to protect her (even Rosalie!) and how Bella would be more concerned with Edward than with her own life. Maybe that's because she doesn't have a life? Sigh.

I could go on, but quite frankly I have lots to do right now so I think I'll conclude.

You know, maybe the fact I didn't enjoy this book wasn't really the author's fault, but my fault for putting too much expectation on it. It's a (as some have said, very superficial) romance, and that's it. Is Twilight good literature? Hell no! All it tells you is that, as a teenage girl, you should go after the hot guy and have no life that is not about him and become obsessed with him then he'll become equally obsessed with you. This is very obviously targeted at teenaged girls still actually believing or fantasising that a romance like Bella's and Edward's was actually plausible in real life. There's isn't much wrong with that, if you could separate fantasy from reality. But I was probably looking for more substance, and Twilight just didn't give.

PS: I liked the movie. At least it got to the point, no rhymes, no adjectives.

I cannot have put it any better HMSChocolate :D

I wouldn't say Bella is the incarnation of Mary Sue, but she does have some glaring Mary Sue traits.

Oh but she is.

Spoiler - Click me!
In Breaking Dawn, Bella Sue doesnt have to go through years of bloodlust and suffering to rein in her vampire instincts. She can control herself perfectly because just one speshul snowflake *rolls eyes*

And Renesme *grimaces* is the Sue to end all Mary Sue's

[Close]

*Yet, at the same time, Bella goes on and on about how she's clumsy, never had anyone attracted to her, never had a boyfriend ad nauseum.

*At the same time, no one seems to mind/tease her about her clumsiness.

I actually thought that her clumsiness was supposed to be one of her flaws which makes her more relatable, endearing, and allows Edward to swoop down and save her from tripping on air.

That's not what annoys me with Twilight. It's the fact that's there's nothing but Bella-Edward in Twilight. Nothing

We get pages and pages of how hot, amazing, godlike Edward is and after the 367 page Meyer realizes that a plot should be happening by now and throws in the whole James-wanting-to-kill-bella thing.

Bella's father hardly even knows she's dating him. Edward's family accepts Bella and doesn't give her any grief. There's no struggle from Bella of what will become of her parents/friends/family etc if she becomes a vampire. Just Bella and Edward teen-angsting over how beautiful each other is and how they love each other and the only thing that stand between them is that he wants to eat her.

The whole series is wrapped up with a large pink ribbon in the end complete with a happy ever after devoid of any sacrifice, choice, and/or conflict. I'm surprised they didnt skip off into the sunset holding hands.

I'm all for happy endings but the fact that Bella sacrificed nothing and got everything frankly just pisses me off. Its all ranbows and butterflies.

I also find it disturbing that the characters have no choice. As though love and choice are not related.

Spoiler - Click me!
Jacob impinting on Nessie. Do not get me started on that I actually ripped the corner of the page in frustration over that part

[Close]

Tbh, after reading New Moon I thought Jacob was the best character in the whole series and I felt bad for his fate in BD. I also started my Bella-hate in this book, when I realized that she was just selfish and over obsessed with Edward.

While I wouldn't say I'm a feminist activist

You aint seen nothin' yet. I beg you to read Eclipse.... And New Moon... And while your at it, you better read Breaking Dawn. :D For the Lulz at least

Tell me that the girls who are just totally in love with Edward Cullen and Twilight realise that Bella and Edward's relationship is totally superficial.

Its Twu Wuv, bb. Even if it all happened in 2 weeks... or 3.

Their whole relationship IMO, is unhealthy. Bella obsesses over him and refuses to see anything else around her including friends and family. She does not have her own individual life outside of edward.

Spoiler - Click me!
My point is solidified when she was willing to die in New Moon (after cliff diving) because Edward left her and she deluded herself into believing that it might bring him closer to her.

[Close]

It my school, it is now added to the curriculum for 9th graders this year.

What happened to The Outsiders? Or the Catcher in the Rye? :0

Edited by 3!sha

I actually thought that her clumsiness was supposed to be one of her flaws which makes her more relatable, endearing, and allows Edward to swoop down and save her from tripping on air.

It's to make her become like a freaking damsel in distress needing to be saved all the time and Edward is her hero. Seriously, am I the only one disturbed at how many times Edward ordered and pushed Bella around?

It's to make her become like a freaking damsel in distress needing to be saved all the time and Edward is her hero. Seriously, am I the only one disturbed at how many times Edward ordered and pushed Bella around?

I was just as disturbed, I can't believe he controlled alot of aspects of her lives and stalked her, watched her in her sleep and whatnot. If that happened in real life with me, I'd probably report him to the police O.o

About a third through New Moon. It was better, Bella's moaning about Edward not being there was more bearable than her gushing over his beauty every other line. But I get the urge to laugh everytime she hallucinates and says things like "The honey-sweet voice shouted at me". I mean....wtf? Is this an attempt at oxymoron?

I started making fun of the writing but then got bored about 20 pages in. Here's the results of the early chapters though.

An impasse, he called it. I couldn't really see Edward's point, to be honest. What was so great about mortality? Being a vampire didn't look like such a terrible thing—not the way the Cullens did it, anyway.

This is the problem. This is precisely the problem. You know why Bella thinks this? Because BEING A VAMPIRE ISN'T A TERRIBLE THING THE WAY THE CULLENS DID IT!!! They get super powers. They're rich. They're immortal. They occassionally get bloodlust, but that can be solved without that much struggle. They don't even freaking burn in the sun. They have everything. There ISN'T anything terrible about vampirism in the rose-tinted world of the Cullens. Sheesh.

Even Mike Newton didn't bother to give me the glum stare that used to make me feel a little guilty. He smiled now instead, and I was glad he seemed to have accepted that we could only be friends. Mike had changed over the summer—his face had lost some of the roundness, making his cheekbones more prominent, and he was wearing his pale blond hair a new way; instead of bristly, it was longer and gelled into a carefully casual disarray. It was easy to see where his inspiration came from—but Edward's look wasn't something that could be achieved through imitation.

Please. Spare me. It's not even page 10 yet.

I frowned. I didn't like it when he picked on my truck. The truck was great—it had personality.

I'm sorry, I'm laughing. Is this an attempt to show that there is actually something Bella doesn't like about Edward and that she doesn't totally think the sun rises and sets on him?

Though the painting was centuries old, Carlisle—the blond angel—remained unchanged.

I just got a hilarious image of a baby cherub. >.<

I felt horribly guilty about the present situation, guessing that Rosalie and Emmett's prolonged absence was my fault,

Yes because everything is about you, Bella. They've graduated haven't they? What on earth would they do in Forks? Isn't that the whole point of the college excuse??

"You [Carlisle] try very hard to make up for something that was never your fault," I suggested while a new kind of tugging started at the edges of my skin. "What I mean is, it's not like you asked for this. You didn't choose this kind of life, and yet you have to work so hard to be good."

Shall we compare this to Bella's begging to become a vampire?

"For a teenager, you’re amazingly non-whiney.”

Oh the irony!!

-------

Sorry, i know I'm being harsh :unsure: but I really can't stand bad books...and this series, regardless of the good idea, is just badly written.

Twilight sucks for two big reasons:

First everyones talking about it, people at my school actually wore homemade shirts the day the movie came out. It's just not indie enough lol

Second (and more importantly) is the stereotypes that it's perpetuating. Guys don't act like that, and shouldn't have to. The level of attention given to the female lead is sickening and obsessive/borderlinestalker.

Ok last post then I promise I won't rant again about Twilight...I might comment but I won't rant. (Why do I even put myself through the agony of finishing this series? Sigh, I really don't know. I like books but I hate bad books...so...when I come across a bad book I tend to force myself to read it so that I can tear it apart.)

As I said...I might just be ruining it for myself by trying to get too much out of it. If I could just expect it to not be a piece of literature and read it to enjoy it instead of trying to analyse it maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

The series has a good concept, but the writing was just excruciatingly bad. Horrible beyond horrible characterisation - Mary Sue gallore, indeed. I wished it had been an Edward Junior instead of a *cringe* Renesmee, who is the textbook definition of Mary Sue.

Urgh...the only time I didn't want to strangle Bella was in the last part of Breaking Dawn when she finally turned into a vampire and stopped complaining. Bella-wise, Breaking Dawn was the most bearable because of the transformation and then the second third of the book was from Jacob's POV which was a welcome relief. But plot-wise, Breaking Dawn was horrible. Just...I can't even begin... Minimal conflict, no climax, the resolution with the Volturi was ridiculously smooth. The ending line looked suspiciously like happily ever after.

The message that the Twilight series gives to readers (i.e. impressionable female tweens and teens)

- You're new at a school, you're apparently 'shy' so you shouldn't make an effort to be friends (and keep the friendship) with anybody. Except that gorgeous guy who wants to kill you. You find a reason to complain about everyone who tries to befriend you. Even the ones you think are nice (Angela) you don't really notice until she happens to get you out of a tight spot.

- You should go after the hot guy and become obsessed with him, thinking about him every moment. This part, I'll give you, on its own is kind of typical when you're in love, and not necessarily bad, but let's move on... You should not have any kind of self esteem because he's so hot that he will never love you. But eventually you'll be proven wrong because he acts like he hates you because he loves you all along. I'll even give you this...Pride and Prejudice anyone?, BUT, here's the kicker: He loves you so much that he stalks you. But you shouldn't do anything about that. Because he's hot. It's ok for him to order you, push you around and control your life as well. Because he's hot. In any case, it's not as if you had a life away from him.

- When you do become his girlfriend, he should be the centre of your universe (Meyer's word, not mine) and your life revolves around him, nothing else.

- You should want to die to become a vampire because "what was so great about being mortal anyway?" (wtf?) The way this series promotes suicide just plain scares me.

- You should do this while you're young and beautiful instead of waiting to become old...who cares about living, education and all those other silly things in life?

- When your hot boyfriend leaves you, you should be completely desolate and go into a zombie state for months. Literally. You don't talk to your friends to the point that when you finally do, they look at you like you're crazy. But somehow, despite the zombie state, you still maintain 4.0 GPA (again, wtf?) and whatnot. Because you are smart.

- You should try to kill yourself with dangerous sports just because you happen to hallucinate about him when you are in danger. Yes, hearing him shouting furiously at you should be the solution to your depression.

- After he comes back to you, you should spend every waking moment with him and have no life away from him (again). Even if that means he forbids you (yes, forbids) from seeing a friend.

Here's the cherry on top:

- Life is a field of sunshine and daisies. If you just whine enough, suffer a little, you'll get everything you ever wanted and won't have to give up anything! Jacob and Edward who were mortal enemies in Eclipse ends up being like best friends. I actually thought she'd have to give up her parents but no...not even that! She gives up nothing and gains everything!

~*~

“The way you move — you orient yourself around him without even thinking about it. When he moves, even a little bit, you adjust your position at the same time. Like magnets . . . or gravity. You’re like a . . . satellite, or something. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Edward was so obsessed with me not missing anything while I was human. Usually, it seemed kind of silly. There weren’t many human experiences that I worried about missing. As long as I got to be with Edward, what else could I ask for?

- Tell me, how is this even remotely healthy???

“Am I the only one who has to get old? I get older every stinking day!” I nearly shrieked, throwing my hands in the air. Some little part of me recognized that I was throwing a Charlie-esque fit, but that rational part was greatly overshadowed by the irrational part. “Damn it! What kind of world is this? Where’s the justice?”

And you ask why I hate Bella more with each page I read? I don't think selfish even begin to describe her...more like idiot.

~*~

I like Rosalie. She actually was a betterdeveloped character and there's so much more of her that could be said...why couldn't we get into her head instead of trapped in Bella's all through the series?

Jacob Black...I don't know why people claim to hate him so much. I'm kind of neutral about him.

The whole series is like a good cake but splattered and weighed down with too much cream and icing and fancy decoration so that when you eat it all you're tasting is the cream which would had been nice in moderation but chokes you when there's so much. The last time I cringed so much at something was at Sarah Palin.

as a piece of literature it isn't any good, but as a story it is amazing.

it isn't compariable to the work of those yu read in IB.it is just afuin read,but i am with you in that obsesion boat.... NOV 21st the moviecomes out here and i know it is gonna suck but i am stillgoingto go see it.

i'll have to agree on that. yes twilight is a greta series & is very enjoyable to read. However i don't think it'll become a literature text to be studied in IB :D

I Loved the Twilight series SO much, the story was interesting and everything was just great in the book.

Now since I am not starting IB till next year, my ability to judge the writing and take the book into pieces and look at it from the point of how its written,etc. is not yet fully developed I enjoyed the book a lot.

Some of my friends that are now in universities read the book and couldnt really enjoy it as much because of how thanks to IB they automaticaly have to analyse the piece of literature they are looking at. :)

as my friend quoted after writing a analysis of the Twilight series :"Reason number 1 why you should not do IB: After doing the A1 subject you lose all ability to enjoy fiction without over-analysing it."

haha but of course IB has more pros than cons so....

Ok last post then I promise I won't rant again about Twilight...I might comment but I won't rant. (Why do I even put myself through the agony of finishing this series? Sigh, I really don't know. I like books but I hate bad books...so...when I come across a bad book I tend to force myself to read it so that I can tear it apart.)

As I said...I might just be ruining it for myself by trying to get too much out of it. If I could just expect it to not be a piece of literature and read it to enjoy it instead of trying to analyse it maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

The series has a good concept, but the writing was just excruciatingly bad. Horrible beyond horrible characterisation - Mary Sue gallore, indeed. I wished it had been an Edward Junior instead of a *cringe* Renesmee, who is the textbook definition of Mary Sue.

Urgh...the only time I didn't want to strangle Bella was in the last part of Breaking Dawn when she finally turned into a vampire and stopped complaining. Bella-wise, Breaking Dawn was the most bearable because of the transformation and then the second third of the book was from Jacob's POV which was a welcome relief. But plot-wise, Breaking Dawn was horrible. Just...I can't even begin... Minimal conflict, no climax, the resolution with the Volturi was ridiculously smooth. The ending line looked suspiciously like happily ever after.

The message that the Twilight series gives to readers (i.e. impressionable female tweens and teens)

- You're new at a school, you're apparently 'shy' so you shouldn't make an effort to be friends (and keep the friendship) with anybody. Except that gorgeous guy who wants to kill you. You find a reason to complain about everyone who tries to befriend you. Even the ones you think are nice (Angela) you don't really notice until she happens to get you out of a tight spot.

- You should go after the hot guy and become obsessed with him, thinking about him every moment. This part, I'll give you, on its own is kind of typical when you're in love, and not necessarily bad, but let's move on... You should not have any kind of self esteem because he's so hot that he will never love you. But eventually you'll be proven wrong because he acts like he hates you because he loves you all along. I'll even give you this...Pride and Prejudice anyone?, BUT, here's the kicker: He loves you so much that he stalks you. But you shouldn't do anything about that. Because he's hot. It's ok for him to order you, push you around and control your life as well. Because he's hot. In any case, it's not as if you had a life away from him.

- When you do become his girlfriend, he should be the centre of your universe (Meyer's word, not mine) and your life revolves around him, nothing else.

- You should want to die to become a vampire because "what was so great about being mortal anyway?" (wtf?) The way this series promotes suicide just plain scares me.

- You should do this while you're young and beautiful instead of waiting to become old...who cares about living, education and all those other silly things in life?

- When your hot boyfriend leaves you, you should be completely desolate and go into a zombie state for months. Literally. You don't talk to your friends to the point that when you finally do, they look at you like you're crazy. But somehow, despite the zombie state, you still maintain 4.0 GPA (again, wtf?) and whatnot. Because you are smart.

- You should try to kill yourself with dangerous sports just because you happen to hallucinate about him when you are in danger. Yes, hearing him shouting furiously at you should be the solution to your depression.

- After he comes back to you, you should spend every waking moment with him and have no life away from him (again). Even if that means he forbids you (yes, forbids) from seeing a friend.

Here's the cherry on top:

- Life is a field of sunshine and daisies. If you just whine enough, suffer a little, you'll get everything you ever wanted and won't have to give up anything! Jacob and Edward who were mortal enemies in Eclipse ends up being like best friends. I actually thought she'd have to give up her parents but no...not even that! She gives up nothing and gains everything!

~*~

“The way you move — you orient yourself around him without even thinking about it. When he moves, even a little bit, you adjust your position at the same time. Like magnets . . . or gravity. You’re like a . . . satellite, or something. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Edward was so obsessed with me not missing anything while I was human. Usually, it seemed kind of silly. There weren’t many human experiences that I worried about missing. As long as I got to be with Edward, what else could I ask for?

- Tell me, how is this even remotely healthy???

“Am I the only one who has to get old? I get older every stinking day!” I nearly shrieked, throwing my hands in the air. Some little part of me recognized that I was throwing a Charlie-esque fit, but that rational part was greatly overshadowed by the irrational part. “Damn it! What kind of world is this? Where’s the justice?”

And you ask why I hate Bella more with each page I read? I don't think selfish even begin to describe her...more like idiot.

~*~

I like Rosalie. She actually was a betterdeveloped character and there's so much more of her that could be said...why couldn't we get into her head instead of trapped in Bella's all through the series?

Jacob Black...I don't know why people claim to hate him so much. I'm kind of neutral about him.

The whole series is like a good cake but splattered and weighed down with too much cream and icing and fancy decoration so that when you eat it all you're tasting is the cream which would had been nice in moderation but chokes you when there's so much. The last time I cringed so much at something was at Sarah Palin.

HEY! U took this from my friend! This is SO not yours! I know that...maybe u know my friend..chi Hien....uhm..does she know that u took her analysis and posted it here?

HEY! U took this from my friend! This is SO not yours! I know that...maybe u know my friend..chi Hien....uhm..does she know that u took her analysis and posted it here?

:) For one, no text speak allowed. And second, that is Hien.

It is, beyond a doubt, simply glorified fanfiction. It has all the characteristics: concepts taken from other, better-written sources, one-dimensional self-insert characters, and horribly written purple prose. For those of you who doubt that Bella is a Sue, just look at her name. Essentially "Beautiful Swan." Wow. Even Robert Pattinson concedes the following point, having said:

“When I read it, I was convinced Stephenie was convinced that she was Bella, and it was like a book that wasn’t supposed to be published. It was like reading her sexual fantasy, especially when she said it was based on a dream and it was like, ‘Oh I’ve had this dream about this really sexy guy,’ and she just writes this book about it. Like some things about Edward are so specific, I was just convinced, like, ‘This woman is mad. She’s completely mad and she’s in love with her own fictional creation.’ And sometimes you would feel uncomfortable reading this thing. It’s kind of a sick pleasure in a lot of ways.”

I agree with the comment that Bella and Edward are not in love. There is (or rather, should be) a huge gap between Bella and Edward, with him being one hundred and her being, what, sixteen? But, of course, Stephanie Meyer chooses to ignore that and skip to OMG!ROMANCE.

Again in the case of wanting to skip past problems and get to the romance, Meyer totally defaces vampirism. It's one thing to have a character that sparkles in the sun, but it's another thing entirely to claim that that makes them a vampire. Stop ruining my fandom, plz.

I also believe that feminism was set back a hundred years by this book.

Edited by hanatarash

I am reading the vampire chronicles by Anne Rice now.. Twilight is such a crap compared to that. Gosh, Rice really knows how to make complex characters. Totally agree with the part that Meyer really deforms what real vampires are like. Oh, did you hear that in the movie, in the part that he shines you can actually hear the "sound of diamonds"? Sooo pathetic.