Twilight series: Good literature?

Aether

personally, i believe that stephenie meyer is a horrible author.

she is a ***** to good literature and herself.

morman my ass!

edward cullen is not morman, she just wants attention.

she wishes she was bella.

and everyone knows vampires dont sparkle, he was just perspiring

so my english teacher made us all tell her our favorite book and then she provceeded to bash them for being poorly written, but when someone mentioned twilight,s he got all excited and then goes off on a vampire tangent. she never metioned it being poorly written!!! that made me mad.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the plot is absolutely amazing..

Though Im not too thrilled about the way she crafted her writing.. Her use of vocab is pretty limited. She used words such as: conspicous, cringes, flinches.. numerous times in all four novels.. it gets a little annoying after a while..

I still think Bella fell in love with Edward because of his outer appearance... Meyer continously talks about Edward's physcal attributes throughout the series: topaz, golden liquid etc etc eyes.. If Edward is not so stunning.. would Bella choose Jacob instead?

And in the end it was pretty much a fairytale 'happily-ever-after" ending.. Bella gets everything she ever wanted: Edward, vampire transformation, Charlie and even Jacob.

I still like it... it captures my attention and I can't tore away from her books when I first read them.

Have any of you read her other book The Host? what were your opinones on it?

I read the Host.

I thought it was "okay." In my opinion not as engrossing as Twilight but I loved the whole post-apocalyptic type of world that it portrays.

But it started to get weird for me in the whole tangled up relationships. The original woman in the body, Melanie, loves a man. Alien gets put in and soon she loves him too. Oh but he, hates the alien who has taken over his love's body. Then the alien also falls for another guy and likes two men at the same time.

It just felt strange to me for some reason.

I read them after hearing so much about them for like a year or so. I read first three books in one go. I was hooked.

But after I finish them, I find that I dislike Bella. She's annoying for god sake! (and a total Mary-Sue) Lo' and behold, I somehow stunble across crack summaries and comments of the ****lighters. :rofl: Damn, that's wayyyy better than the books. They made me realise that..while Edward is a character that will grab every girl's attention, but..really, I'm not sure I'll like him if I knew him in real life.

I love the movie though. It's so much more crack than the books! Especially with Rpattz in it, who ultimately bashes the hell out of the guy he is playing and the woman that create the role he is in. XDD So much win.

All in all, Twilight is well, not literature. It is a mindless fluffy book for guilty pleasure read (and that is so limited to Twilight ONLY). Besides that, there's not much to it.

..and may I add, if there was only Twilight, I might have file it under "okay", but with New Moon...wow Bella, you just made me want to strangle you ;D Eclipse doesn't get any better. Breaking Dawn..I haven't read..but sounds more ridiculous than all of them put together.

---

..I want to recommend you all to read Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld! Seriously, that's a way better YA series =w=;;;; (IMO anyway. don't kill me. DX)

EDIT: why is..twPost by: Aboot censored? It's a swear word? >W>;; WHUT?

Edited by Skibblu

I read them after hearing so much about them for like a year or so. I read first three books in one go. I was hooked.

But after I finish them, I find that I dislike Bella. She's annoying for god sake! (and a total Mary-Sue) Lo' and behold, I somehow stunble across crack summaries and comments of the ****lighters. :rofl: Damn, that's wayyyy better than the books. They made me realise that..while Edward is a character that will grab every girl's attention, but..really, I'm not sure I'll like him if I knew him in real life.

I love the movie though. It's so much more crack than the books! Especially with Rpattz in it, who ultimately bashes the hell out of the guy he is playing and the woman that create the role he is in. XDD So much win.

All in all, Twilight is well, not literature. It is a mindless fluffy book for guilty pleasure read (and that is so limited to Twilight ONLY). Besides that, there's not much to it.

..and may I add, if there was only Twilight, I might have file it under "okay", but with New Moon...wow Bella, you just made me want to strangle you ;D Eclipse doesn't get any better. Breaking Dawn..I haven't read..but sounds more ridiculous than all of them put together.

---

..I want to recommend you all to read Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld! Seriously, that's a way better YA series =w=;;;; (IMO anyway. don't kill me. DX)

Agree completely with you that Bella is annoying as hell. She complains all the times, manipulates people, and plays the whole "damsel in distress" act the first three books. Come on, super shield as a power. That's what they were building up to as her big vampire power?

I love how you use Rpattz for Robert Pattinson and... idk... he was okay... but I thought the scene where Bella walks into the biology room is WAAY overdone. It looks like Edward is having a seizure or something.

I read Uglies. I didn't think it was a good as Twilight, though.

Personally , I would say no , it isn ' t good literature .

But the story itself is okay ; but only to the point where it does capture the reader ' s attention and keeps it for quite a while .

The characters didn ' t do much for me while reading , and I found myself reluctant to read the last book in the series .

I got used to the disappointment after every book I read , though .

Twilight was the best one for me . :/

the more I read Bella, the more I think she's an insult to women. Seriously. Makes me think about that rave against the Harry Potter series being sexist around 2003. Apparently some people thought HP (then) lacked strong female characters. I'd like to get them to have a go at Bella.

I'm generally neutral about Edward but tell me, how exactly is a white-faced, cold-as-ice guy remotely attractive? How exactly do you enjoy kissing marble?!?!

Spoiler - Click me!

[Close]

Yes it's a swear word, a bit British, perhaps.

I think that the cast is A LOT off. But then again, I guess it depends from each person's point of view. I will try not to go see it, because I liked the books and I wouldn't want to ruin the image I have of the books, but I will probably end up going anyways.

The Twilight series was good, but it could have been better, especially the last book. I had the impression that Stephanie Mayer just wanted to get it over with, and crammed everything together...

Seriously, the cast is way off. They just made a complete joke of the movies by putting a cast of rejects on the silver screen to represent Stephenie Meyer's work. I was so obsessed with the Twilight Saga when I first came across it, but soon afterwords it became a type of "happy past-time." At first, I felt I could easily dissect its inner workings, as if it were World-Lit Paper, but I got over myself and came to accept it as fluffy/light, yet entertaining, reading. No doubt I will never regret reading Twilight. If you're looking for something similar to Twilight, read the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

the more I read Bella, the more I think she's an insult to women. Seriously. Makes me think about that rave against the Harry Potter series being sexist around 2003. Apparently some people thought HP (then) lacked strong female characters. I'd like to get them to have a go at Bella.

I'm generally neutral about Edward but tell me, how exactly is a white-faced, cold-as-ice guy remotely attractive? How exactly do you enjoy kissing marble?!?!

Spoiler - Click me!

[Close]

Yes it's a swear word, a bit British, perhaps.

Bella's initial description portrayed her as a weak "damsel in distress" type. This made Bella's great physical/mental capabilities in the fourth book even more difficult believe. All in all, Bella was annoying. As for Edward's appeal, I think it was his confidence/aura that got me. I didn't really think of him as cold as ice, but more along the lines of the cool side of a pillow lol. Moreover, his pale white complexion is rather creepy; but I guess his sinister traits lend to his attraction.

*There's a reason that word is censored.

Seriously, the cast is way off. They just made a complete joke of the movies by putting a cast of rejects on the silver screen to represent Stephenie Meyer's work. I was so obsessed with the Twilight Saga when I first came across it, but soon afterwords it became a type of "happy past-time." At first, I felt I could easily dissect its inner workings, as if it were World-Lit Paper, but I got over myself and came to accept it as fluffy/light, yet entertaining, reading. No doubt I will never regret reading Twilight. If you're looking for something similar to Twilight, read the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Haha. Weren't you going to use Twilight in your Extended Essay?

I haven't read Twilight, to be frank. I don't want to make any preconceived notions regarding this series, but just judging by the premise and comments others have made, it seems like...fluff.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with fluff. Heck. I've read the entire Princess Diaries series, and kinda sorta LOVED it. However, the issue with Twilight is that it appears to take itself quite seriously. Too seriously. I mean, the main character is a vampire, for goodness sake. How can one regard such a series as "great literature"? Maybe that's merely my opinion, but let's be honest. It's a bit silly.

I personally think that true literature involves works that are intellectually stimulating and shape the genre in which they are written. Twilight seems to have done the latter, but only because of a cult following of giggly 12-year-old girls. No offense intended. :dunno: And it most certainly doesn't seem to fit the mould of the former. I've heard far too many comments regarding Twilight being "too easy a read" and having "absolutely no devices to grab onto". Sooo. Literature? Probably not.

To each their own, though. *shrugs*

I mean, the main character is a vampire, for goodness sake. How can one regard such a series as "great literature"?

Books with vampires can't become literature? Ever heard of Dracula?

Then again I agree about the part of taking itself too seriously. Twilight takes the love aspect waaay too seriously, and so Edward is nauseatingly perfect, to the point I want to strangle him for being so perfect because such a perfect person does not exist. He only exists in Bella's perfectly devoid-of-everything-but-Edward mind. It comes to a point where the only criticism Bella ever makes of Edward is that he criticises her car radio and she gets annoyed. Seriously? Come on.

Then again I agree about the part of taking itself too seriously. Twilight takes the love aspect waaay too seriously, and so Edward is nauseatingly perfect, to the point I want to strangle him for being so perfect because such a perfect person does not exist. He only exists in Bella's perfectly devoid-of-everything-but-Edward mind. It comes to a point where the only criticism Bella ever makes of Edward is that he criticises her car radio and she gets annoyed. Seriously? Come on.

Pity that the director's choice of casting didn't reflect this perfection. I didn't watch Twilight for two reasons really: 1) the hype pissed me off, that is, I seriously hate people telling me over and over again how 'hot' Edward is, 2) I looked up a pic of 'Edward' and almost died... wtf maybe the Harry Potter guy is better in the movie but in the posters? Ewwwwww not staring at that for 2 hours.

With that said, you guys are discussing the novel. :) It's kind of pathetic that the author portrays love and the lead female protagonist in such a negative light - weak and devoid of personality. :)

Oh, snap! Got me there. :) I suppose I was trying (but failing) to insinuate that Twilight seems to be centred primarily around the whole "ZOMG EDWARD CULLEN IS A VAMPIRE" factor. "Dracula" is a novel that plays upon a series of complex themes and motifs, such as Christianity and science, which gives it a bit more credibility in terms of being deemed "literature". Twilight, on the other hand, lacks such depth, and really only appears to play upon the whole vampire aspect. Suddenly, vampiristic romances have become "soooo effing hawt", which makes the whole concept seem ridiculous.

Oh, snap! Got me there. :P I suppose I was trying (but failing) to insinuate that Twilight seems to be centred primarily around the whole "ZOMG EDWARD CULLEN IS A VAMPIRE" factor. "Dracula" is a novel that plays upon a series of complex themes and motifs, such as Christianity and science, which gives it a bit more credibility in terms of being deemed "literature". Twilight, on the other hand, lacks such depth, and really only appears to play upon the whole vampire aspect. Suddenly, vampiristic romances have become "soooo effing hawt", which makes the whole concept seem ridiculous.

Oh yes I absolutely agree (and no sarcasm intended). Honestly I read Midnight Sun first and seriously wondered what happened to vampires when they go into the sun, if not burn. And it turns out, as revealed in Twilight, they sparkle. Sparkle, people. Sparkling, twinkling, fairy lights vampires. I was torn between :) anf :)

hah i laugh when i hear 'twilight series' and 'good literature' in the same sentence. Basically, i see twilight as a story that is a good one time read but is no where near being classified as real literature. The characters are annoying (except emmett :) ), the story line is thin and the author's vocabulary is clearly limited.

Oh yes I absolutely agree (and no sarcasm intended). Honestly I read Midnight Sun first and seriously wondered what happened to vampires when they go into the sun, if not burn. And it turns out, as revealed in Twilight, they sparkle. Sparkle, people. Sparkling, twinkling, fairy lights vampires. I was torn between :P anf :D

BAHAHAHA.

I don't even know how to respond to that! Sparkle? WTF. Stephanie Meyer was really careful to give Gothic literature a nice, hard slap in the face, eh?