Twilight series: Good literature?

Aether

I am reading the vampire chronicles by Anne Rice now.. Twilight is such a crap compared to that. Gosh, Rice really knows how to make complex characters. Totally agree with the part that Meyer really deforms what real vampires are like. Oh, did you hear that in the movie, in the part that he shines you can actually hear the "sound of diamonds"? Sooo pathetic.

hahahha O wouldn't be that slanderous of such a popular series. I think the idea of the book was really good but it wasn't written very well. I thought the changes to vampires were kind of cool, no rules saying she can't do that. Also, not enough people die, sign of a good writer is someone who can kill a character in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Twilight is literature?

It's a literature-y as any trashy thriller type novel. For people to get kicks out of an easy read with an easy story, but never to think about. The moment you start thinking about how it's written the whole thing is ruined.

The film hurt to watch D8

It was the most horrific exposition of lines which were never, ever meant to be said out loud and seriously for people to think about for more than a second. That awful, awful "sick masochistic lion" thing makes me wince with pain to hear, but when I was reading it, I hardly gave it a second glance.

Literature is more than Twilight. Twilight serves a different purpose in this world. Sort-of like how a home video isn't a film.

What I like about the movie is actually the lack of "Oh my god he's so hot, he's so perfect and wonderful" by Bella every other line in every single page. Why does Edward even WANT to get into Bella's head anyway, it's not as if it's any different from other people's. I wonder if he could read her mind and see that all she thinks about is that OMG HE'S SO HOT whether he'd find her so attractive anymore... =.=

• 4 weeks later...

Having read Twilight (just that one book), I must say that it seems like a very commercial book.

She puts all of an average teenage girl's dreams into that book - & that's what made it so successful.

As a piece of literature, I didn't find it very valuable or well-written.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, the Twilight series are well written books, their intense yet not too intense. Even if it is a "common" story with girl falls in love with boy and so on, their kinda original. The only thing I didn't like was Breaking Dawn.. That became too much to be honest.

And I'm sorry to say this, but the movie sucked soooooo bad... I mean, I know it was a low-budget movie but still... I just hope New Moon will be better ( my favorite of the 4 books) ^^

Edited by sj91

i was really obsessed over it two years ago when it hadn't really exploded yet. but after a while i realized how crazy all of these fans (myself included) sounded and i got over it really fast. now i'm really disenchanted and highly annoyed at it's popularity. it's like every girl in the world wants him and feels the need to obsess over him every waking moment of their lives. and i think it's completely trashed the teen literature market. hundreds of authors just caught the wave of twilight's sucess and now there are all of these vampire books out that are so unoriginal. people need to get their own ideas and stop obsessing over a single minute section of the vastly diverse realm of possibilities that is the fantasy genre.

What really annoyed me about Twilight was the stereotypical stuff. She's so weak and vulnerable, so her boyfriend has to protect her (seriously, when he's saving her in first book for the third time, I think it went a bit to far) and he forbids her to be with the werewolves since it's dangerous for her, and she feels guilty when he gets upset about have hurt her. What kind of moral views are that? :D

Edited by Tilia

What really annoyed me about Twilight was the stereotypical stuff. She's so weak and vulnerable, so her boyfriend has to protect her (seriously, when he's saving her in first book for the third time, I think it went a bit to far) and he forbids her to be with the werewolves since it's dangerous for her, and she feels guilty when he gets upset about have hurt her. What kind of moral views is that? :panic:

I agree. In addition, Bella has no self-confidence. It would be one thing if she was a dynamic character and got over her insecurities, but she never believes she's good enough for Edward. What is that portraying to teenage & preteen girls?

"Doubt yourself constantly. Be a damsel-in-distress. You'll get your own "perfect", overprotective boyfriend who believes he knows what is best for you."

Gotta say though, reading the series was a good way to deal with stress. haha

This summer I became completely obsessed with the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, and I completely fell in love with Edward Cullen!! However, in my Spanish class we read " The Unbearable Lightness of the Being" by Milan Kundera and it changed the way I perceive literature. Now I consider Twilight series to be quite superficial.. good, yet superficial...what do you think?

I discovered twilight this summer too, and it's the most enthralling story I have read in a long time (probably since I read the last Harry Potter two summers ago). But of course it isn't anywhere near the quality of writing by such authors as Jane Austen, John Steinbeck or even J.K Rowling (who's someone there are serious discussions about amongst our teachers whether or not she is a good writer). Is Twilight superficial? Yes. Incredibly enjoyable to the extent of mental break down? Yes!

I would choose Twilight over Things Fall Apart or Great Expectations any day! And yes, Edward's something... Sort of a modern day Mr. Darcy in some way... :wub:

• 1 month later...

What's this fuzz about Edward? Who wants to kiss and hug something who makes you shiver from cold and is hard as a rock?

My thoughts exactly.

This makes my day. Twilight Harry Potter-style :P. It's an entry to a fanfic challenge of writing a purely Mary Sue Harry Potter fic. The author just decided to have a go at Twilight too. :D It's hiliarious, in a nauseating sort of way. Not completed though. But the first 2 chapters is genius :D.

Harry Almighty By lilyevans_Jan30 @SIYE

Challenge conditions are here if you're interested in what was supposed to go into the fic.

I sadly have to admit that when Twilight first came out as a book I read the series and painfully had to wait for the finally book. Then suddenly it was "The coolest thing EVER!". Then as more girls screamed over Edward and wore shirts that said they wanted to "have his babies" I thought "WTF why is my taste in books like these girls?". So then Twilight became a thing of teh past and now I can't even stand the books. I mean they weren't really the greatest to begin with. I think we all just fell in love with the idea of "forbidden" love with something that coudl kill you. The actual piece of work is kind of at a low level. Very "first book" writing style.

I seriously think the screaming girls and insane love for a fiction character is what is making this book flop terribly. The only part that actually made me read the book was the vampire part, and then she went and killed the vampire. Making it a sparkly, rock. Thanks Meyer? I definitely had to read 'Salem's Lot after just to prove that vampires were not dead. In a sense :P