Twilight series: Good literature?

Aether

To tell you the truth the first time I read Twilight I loved it! :P Then I bought New Moon which was also pretty good, had some problems with it but I over looked them. Then Eclipse came out and it wasnt as good as Twilight or New Moon. I started hating Bella (and sometimes edward). Overall it was...ok didnt love it didnt hate it. ;) . I thought that the series was seriously going down hill but I had some hope that the author could save it with the final book. However, Breaking Dawn IMO was a disaster. I HATED it. Forced myself to finish it just to know what happens and the whole series is now on my shelf collecting dust.

In conclusion, i dont think that twilight is good literature. I enjoyed the books (minus breaking dawn, which was pure agony) while they lasted, but highly doubt they will be considered classics.

I enjoyed Twilight. [spoiler alert] That being said, I did not enjoy the rest of the saga. As the story continues, Bella because really whiny and needy and Edward leaves. To me, the only sensible characters of the book are the Cullens, and when Edward left in New Moon in ruined everything. I also despise Jacob Black, and he gives me another reason to not like New Moon. Eclipse was alright since Edward came back, but then again Bella's whole "i-love-both-of-you-and-i-don't-know-who-to-choose" was extremely annoying. Finally, Breaking Dawn comes and in all honesty- that book was a waste of money. Not only was the book just flat out terrible, but Bella was constantly begging Edward for sex. What's with Edward destroying everything while they're going at it too? I mean, really...he's been a vampire for a while now, you'd think he'd be able to not bruise Bella and break everything. The way she had her baby was kind of stupid in my eyes too, and the name Bella chose was epic fail. I was just happy Bella was turned into a vampire and she stopped complaining after that.

I don't know. The story just got worse as it progressed. As for it being good literature, it is not really that spectacular or well written. It might have sold a lot of copies, but as stated before I don't think it will be remembered as "one of the greatest books ever" or a 'classic'.

Edited by iammeanttolive

i think twilight is the kind of book/series where i'd thirst to know the plot, but it would suffice to just read wikipedia.. i.e. i don't really need to read the book. it's a story, but not really literature, because i think good literature is a piece of writing that uses its characters, style, plot, themes and setting to convey a proper message to the audience, which i don't see twilight having. despite this, i did enjoy the first book overall :P i was kind of disappointed with the plot of the next 3 books though. plus bella really, REALLY, irks me sometimes ><

i'm now wondering whether i should see the movie, or whether i'll just walk out disappointed.

The movie's pretty good, though I did watch it dubbed in Vietnamese and that ruined it a bit. (there's only 1 cinema that shows movies in its original language in Hanoi, and since this is such a huge hit, the price skyrockets) I was sitting there picking out translation mistakes and stuff :help: . Person doing the dubbing couldn't pronounce Google and Edward...she kept saying Edwards :). Good cinematography :) . Story's all right...a bit predictable. Robert Pattinson does seem to try a bit too hard to act cold but I suppose he did a good job considering he hadn't done that many films of this scale.

Anyway, enough of the movie...haven't read the books, and on one hand I want to but on the other hand, I'm not sure I want to spend the money to read them. I read parts of Midnight Sun and found it pretty good but then he's a more interesting character with more depths to explore than Bella from what I can tell from the movie.

Hands down, I am probably the biggest Twilight Fan on this forum. It's been over a year since I became crazy-obsessed with the series. But with the kind of books I am reading in AP English? I came to realize that The Twilight series is great for entertainment, but in comparision to other literature, it isn't a fair contrast at all. Now, The Host, on the other hand...oh damn!

But after seeing the movie, I am terribly dissapointed. I used to read the books everyday, for 10 months. And I was actually a major fan of the movie, I counted down, I watched all the behind the scenes, every picture, clip published for the movie. Then BAM, the movie was an utter dissapointment.

However, I remain a faithful fan to Robert Pattinson. I hated him in Twilight, because it was such a degrading role for him. He's a perfect Edward, but he shouldnt have to put up with a script that ****ty. I think my love for Robert has grown to be greater than my obsession with Twilight. I actually got a personalized signed autograph from Pattinson himself ;) I love him.

could this be the next Harry Potter?

You know eveytime twilight is called the next Harry Potter and Stephanie Meyer the next J. K. Rowling I die a little inside ;)

[sort of spoiler-y] I've seen the movie and it was severly lacking in the special effects department and sometimes unintentionally funny (Edward's facial expressions/ the cheesy dialogue). I also find myself liking the scenes that were not originally in the books like the kitchen scene. I LOVED the guy who played Charlie and all the humans (mike, eric, taylor, Jessica, etc.) Oh and the baseball sence was beyond cool. [/spoiler-ish talk]

haven't read the books, and on one hand I want to but on the other hand, I'm not sure I want to spend the money to read them.

You should read them at least to know what all the hype is about. But a word of advice, dont have any sort of high expectations while reading. In fact, dont have any at all & save yourself the disappointment.

(By the way always wanted to ask u since seeing ur username HMS Chocolate : Are you a harry/ginny shipper?)

Edited by 3!sha

I found a better series the other day! I went to Chapters to buy Eclipse (it was the only book I did not have) and I stumbled upon the House of Night books. I bought the first one, Marked and the 3rd, Chosen. I couldn't find the 2nd and these books are pure entertainment (also vampire books). But, like Twilight, not book literature.

You should read them at least to know what all the hype is about. But a word of advice, dont have any sort of high expectations while reading. In fact, dont have any at all & save yourself the disappointment.

(By the way always wanted to ask u since seeing ur username HMS Chocolate : Are you a harry/ginny shipper?)

But if I read them I have to buy them... :| not sure it's worth the money.

And yes, I used to be. Not so much any more but the username stuck XD