MATH IA- Music Sine Waves

minie816

Modelling Sine Waves with music

I'm not quite sure what we should actually do in a Math IA, such as the requirements. Also for this specific topic, I'm lost about what i could do, do i have to pick a song and make sine waves of those notes?? I have no idea how to look into this topic and what should i apply it to :( could i get any advice, resources or any procedures?

Thank you!!

First, you would need to understand that individual notes of music exist as waves, and those waves can be simply represented using the sine function, f(x) = sin(bx), where b is the freq. of the note in Hz.

You could go many ways with this. Musical harmony has a lot to do with the relationship between the sine functions of the individual pitches that make up an interval or a chord. It'll be interesting to try to explain why certain combinations of pitches sound good together by looking at their graphs.

As for what IB looks for in a math IA, you could try looking at this thread. And here's a rubric. But probably the best thing if you don't know where to start is to ask your teacher for help.

Hope this helps, even if just a little :)!

7 hours ago, Thundercracker said:

First, you would need to understand that individual notes of music exist as waves, and those waves can be simply represented using the sine function, f(x) = sin(bx), where b is the freq. of the note in Hz.

You could go many ways with this. Musical harmony has a lot to do with the relationship between the sine functions of the individual pitches that make up an interval or a chord. It'll be interesting to try to explain why certain combinations of pitches sound good together by looking at their graphs.

As for what IB looks for in a math IA, you could try looking at this thread. And here's a rubric. But probably the best thing if you don't know where to start is to ask your teacher for help.

Hope this helps, even if just a little :)!

Omigosh thank you so much for ur reply, definitely helped me in understanding the basic concept of sine waves in music! I'm actually thinking of using violin chords and maybe i could do like what you said investigate "why certain combinations of pitches sound good together by looking at their graphs"! Thank you so much for other resources that you gave such as the rubric and formatting instructions!!