2012... Ominous or not?

gill.navi.singh

So, many people know that some... thing (an asteroid perhaps) will finally be in between us and the sun on December XX, 2012, after a lengthy (3 million year) orbit. It's believed that it is so large, that it will completely block out the sun for several weeks, and freeze us over.

What's your take on this?

I personally think it's a load of tosh...

After all, people thought that the world would end on January 1, 2000...

And besides, by 2012, The world will probably find a way to destroy, or shift the asteroid before it's able to block out the sun.

Either that, or it could be smaller than we think it is...

I also realize Mr. 692287002 has a lot to say... Don't you Tyler?

Edited by gill.navi.singh

I personally hope that happens, and it actually could. Apparently Nostradamus has also 'prophesized' that 2012 will be the final year. Cool!

And before you say why I hope that happens, it's because that the world is going in such a downhill pace, and if it just keeps on going on this way, there won't be much to freeze in 2012. Oh, and if Palin actually wins the election then, I think that the world seriously will need to end.

Oh, and if Palin actually wins the election then, I think that the world seriously will need to end.

Hilarious, except that will probably never happen. At least, by that time I will have the right to vote, but I would NEVER vote for her.

Didn't the Mayans also predict the end of the world to be 2012?

From what I've read, it's prophecized that it will be our last year in our current state of consciousness. I don't think it means we're all going to die or the world will spontaneously combust or anything so drastic, but it will be drastic in that the world as we know it may be gone. Integrated consciousness, perhaps? Huge paradigm shifts? Who knows.

Or, it could be like the year 2000, when everybody had a big panic and thought that all the computers were going to **** themselves up, or the world was going to explode, or whatnot. I remember it being recommended that you have an 'emergency survival kit' ready. Yeah, because that's just what you'd need if the world had exploded.

I agree with the post above.

It was never really explicitly stated that life was to end in 2012, but that there would be a sort of paradigm shift.

Just in case though, I plan on stocking up on canned soups and pastas...and instant noodles.

If I do survive some apocalypse then I'll have some snacks :rolleyes:

Heh, at first I thought this was a thread about the threat of Palin running for president. Not that she could win, anyway, if she was running against Obama.

To be on topic, though, I doubt it'll happen. Like previous posters have pointed out or suggested, some scientists somewhere will have devised a way to safely, or at least semi-safely, get rid of whatever threatens to hit the earth, be it an asteroid or meteor or whatever. (Eh, by safely I mean they'll blow it up so that the remaining chunks of whatever this threat may be won't hit the earth... Bah, what am I talking about? I hardly know anything about the physics of blowing up asteroids.)

A month ago, my friend and I were talking about how the world would 'supposedly' end in 2012. We came to the conclusion that it would most likely be the black hole simulation in Switzerland; if done incorrectly would create a black hole on earth which would destroy the world in 40 months.

But nothing has happened so our theory is down the drain. :rolleyes:

I seriously dont believe that the world is going to freeze over because of some astroid. Besides, if it really is that big would it already have smacked into the sun or something like that? just imagine the two gravitational forces between the two masses. there is no way that the astroid could have survived that long if it really is as big as people say it is.

• 1 month later...

I just attended a lecture in social anthropology about the human obsession with the apocalypse from a Western perspective. For those of you interested google "Apocalypse Then and Now'.

Basically this is just the latest apocalyptic ending, we'll have a newer, hopefully cooler one in a few years ;) .

A month ago, my friend and I were talking about how the world would 'supposedly' end in 2012.

Apperntly many people believe that the world will end in 2012 because an Aztec calender ends at 2012. This calender is said to have succesfly predicted many catastrophies such as 911 which happened hundreds of years after the aztecs that created this calender died out. I find this rediculous and believe that the world will not end in 2012. Maybe these people one day said 'let's take a break

and well, decided never to finish it or died out before finishing it. Honestly, I think its trash that the world will end in 2012. People have been saying the world will end in 2000, etc and well we're still here so they were wrong. I think this is just another false whim, and besides the Earth cannot die a year before i graduate!

I recently saw on youtube videos about this event, but they were claiming that what will happen in 2012 is that earth´s axis will change causing many variations on earth such as giant tsunamies and the increase of volcanic activity. This was from History Channel not just some random guy who made this up, if you watch the full videos it sounds very convincing. I could post the links but don´t know if that is allowed..

• 2 weeks later...

The world better not end in 2012! That's when I get my first degree and HOPEFULLY get accepted into med school or some sort of graduate study in Neuroscience.

I have too much to live for after 2012 >.<

I don't believe it'll be the apocalypse anyhow. It's just like the y2k scare... pure BS.

• 2 months later...

What even happened with the Y2K issue? I was too young to really pay attention to it.

Wasn't it that all systems reliant on computers would crash because the computers weren't wired to roll over to 2000? Or was it that there was going to be an alien takeover? Rebirth of christ? Asteroid hitting the earth?

I felt like I've heard all of those.

And what is it that is making 2012 more plausible than all the other Armageddon predictions that have already come and gone?