2012... Ominous or not?

gill.navi.singh

In my opinion, nothing will happen in 2012.

And to all those who mentioned the "Aztec calendar": I am glad that nobody thinks that since it ends in 2012 it means the end of the world, but I just wanted to clarify that it is not Aztec, it is the Mayan calendar which you are probably referring to. Also, the Mayans didn't get lazy and stop writing their calendar nor were they interrupted. They had already finished their calendar. It ends in 2012, and after that a new cycle starts (just like our calendar ends on December 31, and then we just start a new year. If you want more information on how their calendar worked, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_...Count_calendar). For the Mayans, from what I've read, the end of a cycle was actually cause for celebration. I can only assume that they were planning a giant party to get drunk out of their minds, but then the Spanish conquistadors arrived and ruined their 2012 plans.

• 1 month later...
A month ago, my friend and I were talking about how the world would 'supposedly' end in 2012. We came to the conclusion that it would most likely be the black hole simulation in Switzerland; if done incorrectly would create a black hole on earth which would destroy the world in 40 months.

But nothing has happened so our theory is down the drain. :)

Sounds like when my classmate walked into class one day and told us that "a huge earthquake is going to occur and the world will end because they are trying to drill to a hole to the center of the earth". Wish people would read up on the facts before they misinform others.

Particle accelerators have been used for over 30 years now by scientists to smash atoms against each other (as is being done at CERN). The same actually happens in nature when cosmic rays hit the earth's atmosphere, and scientists have detected no black holes that are going to "swallow" the Erath up (and we seem to have been just fine for the last few million years with cosmic radiation and all). The Large Hadron Collider doesn't produce anything that does not already happen routinely in nature. In addition, the lifetime of the mini-black holes is miniscule, and they die out after a fraction of s second and do not "grow", as many people seem to think. For more information, read http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7468966.stm

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, there isn't really much talk anymore of this...

It's all about the econo-

wait...

Could the economy maybe be, a sign or something?

Think about it.

Economy - Sucks

Swine Flu - Yikes

Climate - Uh-Oh

Food - That's not good.

Animal Life - Dying out

I think we might have an apocalypse situation here... (Three years from expected DOD)

How is food supply not good? There is overproduction of grain in the EU, overproduction of beef in Argentina, overproduction of everything. It's just that governments are burning the surplus to keep food prices high. There's no reason to worry about food running out.

I would think the spread of HIV is a bigger cause for concern, seeing as it kills millions every year and affects many generations. The economy will recover in the next few years. Even the Great Depression didn't last forever. Flu is seasonal and reappears every few years. As for the climate and animal life dying out, get the US to sign the Kyoto Protocl along with other developing countries so that carbon emissions are actually reduced. The only way we're getting an apocalypse if if we screw ourselves over by ruining the planet through our selfishness (which we seem to be on track for).,

The Y2K thing was something different. If I remember correctly, the issue was that there was a potential issue with computer systems not being programmed to roll over the date to 2000 from 1999. Older computers and servers were set up to use a two digit year notation and there were concerns as to what would happen when it rolled over from 99 to 00. The computer would think that it would have gone back in time and files and databases would have been created in the future.

As for 2012, I'm a little superstitious. I don't count anything out. Several sources seem to agree on the date also, so they could know something we don't.

I think propagating the end of the world is pretty ridiculous in itself. Sure, we've come a long way in science, but how many scientific theories ended up being proven to be false (ie. the earth being at the center of the earth?). Personally, there's no point in concentrating on when we're going to go unless we know it for sure. It's probably much more important to concentrate on the now, instead.

Yes, propagating the end of the world is extremely ridiculous, but what's funny is that 2012 being the end of the world isn't even a scientific theory. It has been mostly argued and defended in books written by non-scientist authors or other independent researchers (i.e. not scientists). At least from what I've read, not a single scientist has agreed with any 2012 "End of the world" theories, and there is scientific evidence to refute all of the theories.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can't say I'm truly worried.

I mean, there isn't a shred of evidence to back up the claim. (Truly as students we should be familiar with doing this when writing essays)

However, with all the hype though on the internet: blogs and whatnot, I can't help but occasionally think about it.

Ahh, who knows.

Maybe global warming will hit a high point and melt us all.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate how the donation website for the movie 2012 is advertising donations by saying "Be saved by the Human Foundation of survival on 2012" or something. Little kids and teens are singing up, including some professors cat (i read it somewhere).

Its very convenient how my graduation date 2012. At least, by the time the world ends, I will be barely out of high school

• 2 weeks later...

The idea that the 'world' (whether that's human civilization, or the universe, or anything else, New Age apocalyptic crazies rarely specify) will end in 2012 because of the Mayan calendar is absolutely ridiculous. Honestly, if the Mayans could predict the end of the 'world', couldn't they have predicted the demise of their own civilization due to Spanish colonization?

• 3 months later...

Personally, I think all this "apocalypse"-stuff is rubbish. Sure, at some point our world will end, but that could be anytime. A momentous disaster could happen every moment. And they predicted the world to end then or then so many times in the past and it didn't happen.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...