Need more statitistcal math for Math SL IA

echin250

Hey guys, im a junior in Math SL and was wondering if i could get some help to advance my IA

My IA is based off finding the correlation between domestic gross and the production budget of US movies and then using it to predict a future movies succes by just knowing the production budget, 

The math i currently have is: Pearson's correlation coefficient equations, regression lines and prediction equations.

My problem is my math teacher said i should add more advance math on top of what i already have, he recommend using other line functions to find a better fit line for my data, but is there any other statistical math that i can apply to my investigation that is on par with the SL level math?

Thanks and appreciate any advice

I don't know if you need more advanced statistical math to analyze this. What you have seems good enough. I would investigate how the outliers affect the regression line. That is, do 2 regression lines: one with and one without outliers and see how they affect the trend line. Also include interpolation and extrapolation in your calculations.

If I were you, after I do the basic math I would be more interested in the outliers. That is why do some movies with large production budgets become flops and why do some movies with small production budgets become hits.

You might want to look at this article from a professional economic journal. It's pretty advanced but the basic premise is simple: movies with cold openings (i.e. not released to reviewers ahead of the public) result in 10-30% increase in gross revenue compared to those reviewed by professional movie reviewers.. You'll have to ask your school librarian if your school can access the document but at least read the abstract. Incorporating something like this would definitely increase your personal engagement and reflection criterion scores.

Best of efforts with this. Has the potential to be a very interesting read if you really dig deep.

7 hours ago, echin250 said:

Hey guys, im a junior in Math SL and was wondering if i could get some help to advance my IA

My IA is based off finding the correlation between domestic gross and the production budget of US movies and then using it to predict a future movies succes by just knowing the production budget, 

The math i currently have is: Pearson's correlation coefficient equations, regression lines and prediction equations.

My problem is my math teacher said i should add more advance math on top of what i already have, he recommend using other line functions to find a better fit line for my data, but is there any other statistical math that i can apply to my investigation that is on par with the SL level math?

Thanks and appreciate any advice

So Math Studies IA is a purely statistical analysis report. The linear regression formula appearing in Studies, SL and HL Option Probability/Statistics, is actually derived from calculus beyond HL/HL option. So just applying a formula is Studies. In regular SL, you should aim to provide more justification towards your stats analysis, such as by referring to distribution, expected value, variance, quartiles etc. Content wise that you should have enough syllabus coverage but you may want to revise to clearly demonstrate that you know exactly what and why you're doing, not just simply plugging numbers into a formula. 

• Like 1