Help with Canadian/Aussie/European Unis

Mike

In lieu of recent events, I have decided to look for Universities out of the S*** hole that is the US,so Canadian and Aussie Unis. What are the best, which are the mediocre, and which should I just avoid. When I start applying I will most likely have a 3.2 unweighted GPA.

Lets start at one question, are you able to finance a foreign education? University in Sydney can cost you about AUD 35-40K (All the costs excluding transport) which is about USD 25K to 27.5K. There aren't that many full scholarships unless you're a 45 pointer or similar genius.

Auckland UNI FTW!

I think tuition fee for internationals are around 20000pa NZ which is like around 12000 US?

I think Auckland Uni is ranked so high is because it is like UC Berk, because they have to take the students that are in Auckland because the minimum requirements for locals are extremely low (26 IB points for most courses). So although the students are not 'smart' on average, the teachers and professors are really good and they do a lot of great research which puts the uni up high due to peer review.

Auckland is also a beautiful place... but I have lived there for 12 years so I want a change :rolleyes:

Why would you want to return? Just my opinion, but isn't it actually easier to get a job in a country with a degree of that same country? So if you get a NZ degree, won't it be hard to look for jobs state side?

Btw, if you do go to Auckland, remember that the year there starts in March.

You can either apply end of next year for a place starting in July '10, which would be the second semester of 2010. It's usually a mad rush to get the visas, since they only give you an offer after getting your grades. You can go to NZ first and then sort out your student visa.

Or, if you want a mini gap year, then you apply around August-September in 2010 for a place starting in 2011.

Mike: how about Europe. Scandinavia would give you free (yes, absolutely free), good education that is at least as well-ranked as U of Auckland. For example, Helsinki School of Economics (Aalto University as of 2009) takes in students with good SAT scores. You won't need a mad SAT score since its mostly Finnish people who go there (though courses are in English), and they usually gain entrance through entrance exams. You'd need a SAT score of about 670+600 for Math and CR respectively to get in.

HSE Courses

Okay, you got me interested in that too. I love me anything free :) So is anybody eligible for free tuition in Finland? And the exams at HSE would be in English? I wouldn't have to prove my capability of learning Finnish? Sorry for the overload in questions, but it's best to ask a local :)

Everyone is eligible for free education in Finland, EU, non-EU or alien. Anyone.. No, you won't have to learn Finnish for the courses that are taught in English. The ones that are in English (look at the BSc ones) are stated pretty clearly, but I'll list them here as well:

For a Bachelor's degree (BSc) at Helsinki School of Economics:

Accounting, Finance and Business Law with specialization in Finance - English

Business Technology - English

International Business, BScBA - English, though the location is Mikkeli, so it's a small town (30,000) in Central Finland.

This page shows you what HSE says about studying in Helsinki as a foreigner: CLICK

This page shows you useful info about living in Helsinki (also HSE website): CLICK

Tell me, if you're seriously interested in it, I'll be glad to help you with the process.

If you see the name "Aalto University" associated with Helsinki School of Economics, don't worry. Three large universities in Helsinki, Helsinki School of Economics, Helsinki University of Technology and the University of Art and Design are being combined into a new university which will be called Aalto University. This won't affect the courses, costs or anything actually.