University acceptance final grade wiggle room?

RachelDarma

Hi guys, just wondering, how much wiggle room will you get to get accepted? For example, I get predicted a 37 but my actual score is 35. Would they not accept me then? Or will they only accept people who drop by 1 point? I'm talking about the U.S. btw.

Ps. Does anyone know how to get the average IB accepted for universities? And does anyone know the average IB accepted per subject? I want to apply for NYU communications with an IB of 38 hopefully.

For US universities, you either get accepted or rejected outright. This means if you've been accepted before your final exams, you should still be able to get in so long as you get your diploma and didn't end up with a ridiculously lower score than your predicted e.g. predicted 37 but getting a 29. If you're predicted a 37 and got accepted, but then got a 35, it shouldn't be an issue whatsoever. 

For UK universities though, they usually give you conditional offers where you'll need to receive a certain final overall grade from your final exams to be accepted, based on what you've been predicted with. Let's say you're predicted a 42, and the university's conditional offer is 39 (usually the conditional offers are about 1-3 points less than what you've been predicted with). So long as you get at least a 39, you'll get accepted, no questions asked. If let's say you get a 38 or lower though, you're pretty much going to have to haggle with the university to see if they'd still accept you or not. Usually, they'll tell you to wait until they've received the results of their A-Level applicants; if there's still space remaining, then you'd still get in. 

Edited by IB`ez