Maths IA-Link to curriculum

Svinsern

For my IA I really want to do something related to sports as this is a big interest of mine. I have been thinking about estimating or calculating the trajectory of a football by considering different drag forces, size of ball etc. Another alternative is to relate it to the knuckleball which is a baseball pitch or football kick that involves minimizing the spin of the ball causing unpredicateble motions. I was wondering if anyone of you know how I could link this to the curriculum (I have SL). Thanks in advance :))

I am not sure if you want to model the path by fitting a curve of best point to a set of datapoints, or use vectors and calculate a theoretical path with hypothetical parameters. The latter case would need some good knowledge in physics such as rotational mechanics and the Magnus' Effect. From what I looked up online, Magnus' Effect uses cross product. You may need to use a combination of both to produce a convincing argument. 

Edited by kw0573

7 hours ago, Svinsern said:

Just to note, I dont take physics, so I am kind of worried about involving too much physics into this (I have realized that it is not possible to exclude physics completely). Based on that it might be easier to do the first example or what do you think?

I think it's difficult to go beyond the level of Math Studies if you cannot offer justifications of your curves in a topic of mostly finding correlations. I recommend that if you are going to do a correlation IA, do it in a topic where you can use theory to justify the behaviour of correlation. Otherwise make the physics problem more complicated by introducing knuckleball. Also consider other characteristics of a trajectile beyond an x-y (horizontal position vs vertical position) plot.