HL English B- Can't get more than a low 6

I really started thinking about dropping HL English B. I can never get a decent score! The first assignment that I got a 6 on (Paper 1 practice) made me very happy, but keeping in mind that I spend about 5 hours of my weekend trying to build a perfect response... Not very impressive. What should I do? Do you think this is because we've just started, or will I keep getting grades lower than 6 or even 5, even though I study HARD? I'm crazy worried..

Edited by sselinokcu

As a fellow Eng B HL student, I was also quite worried about my first few assignments. My teacher never gives us scores for assignments, so, at the beginning of the first year, I had no clue whatsoever, if I was even a 5, or what... But, after we had our first mock exam session, she told the whole class that the lowest grade anyone got is a 4, and therefore she expects all of us to get a 7 next year.

In her words "If you can get a 4 now, you'll be able to get a 5 in May this year. This time next year, you'll be getting sixes and sevens - and by your exams, you'll all be getting sevens."

So, I wouldn't worry about getting a six for your first assignment. You'll improve. And, most of English B is really just knowing the layout of the text type you are doing and proofreading everything five times before you hand it in. Don't worry, you'll be okay :)

If your teachers are marking you against the IB criteria that is nothing to worry about - obviously you're going to improve before May 2018!

The skills for paper 1 come with practice, and you have plenty of time - try doing past papers as often as you can. 

For paper 2, make sure you know vocabulary that links to each option - for example, we studied health and leisure. Also, getting the correct text type is work 5/25 marks, so really do go over those.