Difficulty and Pace of Chem HL + Group 4 AI: presentation

biochem

The last two homework assignments for Chem HL have been 7 pages each. Like I get the concepts, considering my 100% on my test, but I am just worried about the future. Our Chem teacher doesn't do really a good job explaining anything, much of the learning has been done through online notes. I wont be able to keep this up over time right? I mean, at some point Equilibrium will roll around and I will be dead stuck :)
So about 10-12 weeks in, we JUST completed Avogadro's number, conversion between grams, molecules, atoms, and moles, and balancing equations. Thats more than 1/4th of my Junior year to go over something that's planned for 2-3 hours. where should I be? Where were you/are you in comparison?

My school is requiring only 1 IA for Chem and Bio HL. They want a presentation of some sort, like science fair. anyone ever done something like this? Because I have seen everything from lab reports to plays, but not scientific presentations. And my school wasn't clear on the detailed policy? If I take a Biology perspective on the project, how will Chem be able to extract a score for IA?

Thank you so much, as I appreciate all input :rolleyes:

I don't think that's too fast, all of that should be review anyway. You'll probably be slowing down once you actually get to new topics. And if you don't already, honestly just study from the IB syllabus. It tells you EXACTLY what you need to know for the exam.

Science IA's should be your lab reports..are you talking about the group 4 project? Because that's completely different. The group 4 doesn't actually count for any marks in IB, while your selected lab reports are worth 24% of your final mark in IB.

I had to write up 2 lab reports (one for the bio aspect, one for chem) for my group 4 project and we just put all the info on a poster board and that was it.

No, that's alright, we've reached about the same as you. We've started slowly because we have people from different backgrounds and some know more than others. Btw, which website are you studying chemistry from?
For the IAs, we are doing lab reports for both chemistry and biology. We've already done like 2 or 3 for each subject.

Oh lol..I thought we were going tooo slow. I want to speed it all up. But today, after 14 pages of homework on limiting reactions and 7 hours of work, my teacher told me she would be in disbelief with anything below a 6 with my diligence. So that picked up my spirit.

I value your opinion greatly, considering your elusive 7 ^.* Thank you

And I study from any website really. We are suing the AP chem book for now, and it does an okay job explaining. I use Google to just scout out the websites which are the best. I also steal notes from other local school website's. Helps when the neighboring school is taught by a doctor :)

Yeah that makes more sence. I am going to be doing the same thing as you, basically putting a lab on a poster board.

Edited by biochem