Tips on doing good on your IOP for literature?

baller2712

So I just found out my date for my iop, December, and as of now I am gathering my information together on the literary work I will be presenting. Being that this is my first time with this kind of presentation I was wondering if my fellow ib-ers have any tips on how to; for example, control nervousness and to catch the audience's attention. Also I should limit the amount of information that I put on the powerpoint for my presentation. Lastly, do you think I should steer clear of reading directly off the powerpoint and try to sort of memorize what I'm going to say or should it be more conversational rather than formal? Thank for your help. Feel free to leave any tips or answers to the questions I've asked.

1 hour ago, baller2712 said:

So I just found out my date for my iop, December, and as of now I am gathering my information together on the literary work I will be presenting. Being that this is my first time with this kind of presentation I was wondering if my fellow ib-ers have any tips on how to; for example, control nervousness and to catch the audience's attention. Also I should limit the amount of information that I put on the powerpoint for my presentation. Lastly, do you think I should steer clear of reading directly off the powerpoint and try to sort of memorize what I'm going to say or should it be more conversational rather than formal? Thank for your help. Feel free to leave any tips or answers to the questions I've asked.

I did the IOP in April of my grade 11 year and I do have some pointers. The key is to practice often. Do NOT leave working on your IOP until the last minute because you will need all the time you can get to practice and edit what you want to say. In terms of dealing with nervousness, I would treat it as if you're having a formal literary discussion with friends. I felt that really helped and you can also practice in front of your friends to get a feel for it. 

You should totally limit how much you put on your slides because seeing blocks of texts on the Powerpoint is extremely distracting for the audience as they try to read it. Just take the main points of what you're saying and put them on the slide. I would not read off the Powerpoint, but use it as a guide if you ever lose track of what you're saying. You can also write down what you want to say on cue cards (that's what I did). You should try to kind of memorize what you want to say, but it's ok if you don't memorize your whole presentation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShootingStar16 said:

I did the IOP in April of my grade 11 year and I do have some pointers. The key is to practice often. Do NOT leave working on your IOP until the last minute because you will need all the time you can get to practice and edit what you want to say. In terms of dealing with nervousness, I would treat it as if you're having a formal literary discussion with friends. I felt that really helped and you can also practice in front of your friends to get a feel for it. 

You should totally limit how much you put on your slides because seeing blocks of texts on the Powerpoint is extremely distracting for the audience as they try to read it. Just take the main points of what you're saying and put them on the slide. I would not read off the Powerpoint, but use it as a guide if you ever lose track of what you're saying. You can also write down what you want to say on cue cards (that's what I did). You should try to kind of memorize what you want to say, but it's ok if you don't memorize your whole presentation. 

Thanks for the advice

• Like 1