Physics EE help - density and shape affecting sound absorbtion

hazemm

hi,
im doing my EE essay on how different materials density and shape affect their ability to absorb sound. I have a wooden chamber built, which I will be testing inside. The experiment so far is that I will have a speaker at one end of this wooden chamber emitting a 100ksin wave and at the other end a microphone(high quality) attached to a oscilloscope to analyze the wave. I will also be covering the inside of this chamber with different material such as different types of foam, and carpeting. I was wondering if anyone could think of an alternate method i could approach at analyzing the resultant sound wave.
Thanks alot

Edited by hazemm

i think that you should set up your experiment so that the sound has to travel through the material although then you can only use materials where sound can actually pass through like textiles

so then if you have the same ammount of each substance you can check the density as well

wll that's the only thing i can think of and you do maby not get the desired range of materials that you want :)

well, i started testing a few days ago, the result are pretty good. i also recorded the resultant sound wave and used this computer program to analyze the wave and compare them, which will give me alot to take about when i begin writing the bulk of the essay. thanks for your help