Math IA Projectile Motion Help

YukiNatsu

Hello everyone,

currently I am writing a new math IA and i decided to write it under the topic of Projectile Motion. What what I want to do is take a video of a setter (in volleyball) and him setting the ball up. I'll take that video and create a graph and will derive that function. The thing is, I think that this is a little to vague, and I really don't have a clue on what to really explore within my topic. For the volleyball idea, I wanted to originally see what's the best place to put the ball in the air to get a good hit in for the spiker. If you have any further suggestions on what else I should do with this topic, I am open to any suggestions. Thank you!

Oh and one more thing that I just conjured up. So I was thinking maybe I could find out the speed it takes for the ball to reach it's peak (where the spiker can best hit it). I can then find the speed, velocity, and displacement of the ball from two distances. One will be from the center court where the setter will set the ball to the Wing Spiker position, and the other will be from the far end position and he will set the ball further, towards the wing spiker position.

I did my IA by graphing the trajectories of ice skaters doing jumps, so my idea was quite similar to yours.  Mine turned out to be surprisingly successful, so I'm sure yours could be, too!  To get more specific, try coming up with a specific objective.  For example, mine was "which type of jump should a skater perform to get the biggest area under the curve", which I related to one of the judging criteria "height and distance".  I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about volleyball, but perhaps try picking an aspect, or writing down a list of questions you have, then structure your IA about answering the question or fulfilling the objective.

ETA: I just wanted to point out that your idea can be simple, as long as the maths uses elements of the syllabus.  Yours definitely does, so I wouldn't worry about that.  Linking it to real life and demonstrating personal engagement is the most challenging part of choosing a question.

Edited by azara

On 11/3/2016 at 1:36 AM, azara said:

I did my IA by graphing the trajectories of ice skaters doing jumps, so my idea was quite similar to yours.  Mine turned out to be surprisingly successful, so I'm sure yours could be, too!  To get more specific, try coming up with a specific objective.  For example, mine was "which type of jump should a skater perform to get the biggest area under the curve", which I related to one of the judging criteria "height and distance".  I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about volleyball, but perhaps try picking an aspect, or writing down a list of questions you have, then structure your IA about answering the question or fulfilling the objective.

ETA: I just wanted to point out that your idea can be simple, as long as the maths uses elements of the syllabus.  Yours definitely does, so I wouldn't worry about that.  Linking it to real life and demonstrating personal engagement is the most challenging part of choosing a question.

oh my god, i have my idea now. How about I look at the best place to start your run up for the spike to give the biggest area under the curve? It is known that the better your run up, the better the jump for spiking, maybe that would be a good topic to do on? Also focusing on height and distance again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I hope your still having success on this! I have another source for you as additional help if you need it: an IB graduate from singapore uploaded her previous math IA that's almost the same as yours (except she used tennis) and I'm pretty sure she got a 7 on it! The only thing is that she was HL, but you might still find it helpful! 

https://ibrevision.wordpress.com/mathematics-hl/

• 2 years later...
On 11/2/2016 at 6:36 PM, azara said:

how did you format yours and what equations did you use? as a figure skater, i don't know all the math surrounding it and it can get quite complicated so i was just wondering what equations you used.

On 11/3/2016 at 11:36 AM, azara said:

Hi! Do you have a copy of your IA? As I want to do something similar but with rollerblading. Yours sounds very interesting! It would be super helpful if I could take a peek at it!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2016 at 12:36 AM, azara said:

would it be possible for you to upload your IA so I can use it as an example please. I've decided to also do mine on the trajectories of a figure skater. The question I currently have is: what is the optimum angle needed for a figure skater to achieve the greatest height when doing a jump? Also, what sub-headings would I need to include for it and different variables I should consider ? any help would be useful thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2016 at 6:06 AM, azara said:

Hi! I also wanted to do my IA on jumps of ice skaters, and I was wondering if you did this for Math HL or SL. Also, if you dont mind me asking, what score did this IA receive? I just want to know if a topic similar to what you chose would be a good idea.

• 1 year later...