A1 self-taught

luk3tm

German A1? Never knew it existed. If that is the case, I think yes you'll get the same exam. But A1 is all about reading books and writing essays it can't really be "self-taught".

I guess you know very little about IB then. There are A1 languages that are so rare that only 1 person takes the exam each year.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the exams will be the same. Although I think they do take into account when grading that it is self taught.

However, I highly recommend you do not do it self taught because a language at A1 is hard, and it is always good to get some guidance from your teachers.

Self taught at B level if you are competetent in that language is fine.

• 1 month later...

I considered doing self-taught Korean as my A1 level, but then didn't, because I couldn't find a suitable teacher outside school. You also have to consider that you have to read a lot of literature (15 I think when you are higher level and 11..... or something like that when you are SL) and submit world lit papers etc. etc.... If you do a self study, you have to give them in all by yourself (your school doesn't send it for you) and really for essay writing, I personally would need gudiance.

I took English A1 and German A2 instead simply because they are both taught in my school, but A1 self study without any teacher/guidance isn't recommended. A friend of mine does Portuguese A1 self-study, but she has a teacher outside school whom she sees once a week. I suppose that you could do self-study nevertheless, but it is really not recommended.

Self-taught can only be done at SL level.

The exam is the same as the SL exam. My friend is doing the German self-taught and just did her mock exam today. They expect you to know the same amount as SL students studying German A1 do.

Bonuses: You get a bi-lingual diploma.

Minuses: You have no one to help you, have to set deadlines for yourself and learn all the vocabulary and techniques of analysis yourself from books. You also have to pick the books yourself that you will study from the WL list.

• 4 weeks later...
Self-taught can only be done at SL level.

The exam is the same as the SL exam. My friend is doing the German self-taught and just did her mock exam today. They expect you to know the same amount as SL students studying German A1 do.

Bonuses: You get a bi-lingual diploma.

Minuses: You have no one to help you, have to set deadlines for yourself and learn all the vocabulary and techniques of analysis yourself from books. You also have to pick the books yourself that you will study from the WL list.

You indeed can "self-teach" yourself on HL.

My friends are taking self-taught Portuguese and Italian HL.

However, they get some help from outside school, from the teachers they chose.

They meet once in a month and discuss the curriculum etc.

So it is not entirely "self-taught".

I don't know whether your friend is doing the same thing or whether she is really, self-teaching herself.

• 4 months later...

I'm lucky our IB self-taught coordinator/supervisor is a french literature teacher =)I'm choosing some books to read over the summer to prepare myself for next year. I think I want to read Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck but I don't know which other two books to choose which deal on same theme, methodoly, symbols etc. This is for World Lit btw. My teacher gave me a list of literary pieces which I can choose from. There is Africa, North America, Russia, Japan, Greece and Rome, Writing about women or the family or other random pieces. Can any one help me please?It would be greatly appreciated.

If you know the language very well, have a teacher who can help you, I don't think that self-taught is a disadvantage.

However, looking at some statistics from my school, it seems like self-taught students rarely score more than 5.

But, you get to choose your books, which makes me jealous of the self-taught students XD

Since you're doing Swedish A1 can you give me the titles of the books you're doing for your WL? I'm kinda of curious to see what factors made those books eligible for comparison. I hope for your Oral or Exams you're not doing stuff Like Selma Lagerlöf or August Strindgberg because they're so boring. I'd be envious if you studied pieces by Jan Guillou or Henning Mankell. All in all please give me examples which I can draw decisions from. Ie a link of 3 books which deal on a common theme or factor.

Edited by Bishup

Yes,exam is the same

I'm currently taking self-taught Korean A1

but it's very hard to do it really by yourself

so you'd better find a teacher outside your school to at least guide you

that's what I did

I think it's a lot better

cause me and my other self-teaching friends had no idea what we should do at first

even though we've got syllabus and other materials

Edited by ruizhen88

Since you're doing Swedish A1 can you give me the titles of the books you're doing for your WL? I'm kinda of curious to see what factors made those books eligible for comparison. I hope for your Oral or Exams you're not doing stuff Like Selma Lagerlöf or August Strindgberg because they're so boring. I'd be envious if you studied pieces by Jan Guillou or Henning Mankell. All in all please give me examples which I can draw decisions from. Ie a link of 3 books which deal on a common theme or factor.

Our WLs are Medea, Like Water for Chocolate (den heter Kärlek het som chili på svenska, väldigt skum översättning) and Crime and Punishment. August Strindberg is boring, I know, but we only have his Fröken Julie as a part two book and Jerusalem by Lagerlöf as an exam text. But I don't think that she's so bad, actually, you should read Kejsaren av Portugallien, it's interesting.

I'm glad we're not doing Guillou or Mankell, their books are two "non-classic" and shallow. And Ondskan is horrible, simply violence and violence. But we're reading Kim Novak badade aldrig i Genesarets sjö, which is the same genre.

As a matter of fact, I can pm you the whole list of books we're reading, would you like that?

That would be great if you could pm me with the list of books. Cheers ;)

I've read the book and watched the film 'Kim badade aldrig i Genesarets sjö'. I liked it.

ruizhen88 could you tell me what pieces you're studying. Just curious.

Thanks again guys.