Discussion about Uni Offers 2009

Forester

Mandiloquence: it can be as short as three days, so be prepared!

My goodness, I'll definitely be preparing then. I'm currently reading books mentioned in my PS and the written work I submitted, is there somewhere I can find information on interview preparation? (I've already read what their website says :P )

I got a conditional from York too, Aboo! And Manchester. :)

Edited by Mandiloquence

For the interview be prepared for the worst. The interviewers will tear you apart and challenge everything you say. The best preparation would be finding a teacher or equivalent to do a practice interview with you to get used to it. I have a thread in here somewhere about how my Oxford interview was, try finding it :dash: .

You reading etc won't matter that much tbh. What matters more is how you argue and defend your position. If you suck at thinking on your feet or correcting your flawed arguments you should definitely practice this :sadnod: .

If you haven't found blindpet's discussion of the interview, it's here.

That sounds brutal. :sadnod:

Since I've applied for Physics and Philosophy I'll definitely practice developing arguments, but should I also be ready to use various equations and such on the spot?

But I don't know if I should bother asking a teacher to practice with me considering I don't even know if they want to interview me yet, and I'll end up looking quite silly if I've taken a teacher's time for nothing. XD

Also, I wonder if there'll be much difference between a telephone interview and a normal interview?

Good luck to everyone that's been invited to interview already! :yes:

Btw, you needn't type Mandiloquence to reply to me, my name's Niki. :dash:

When did you submit the UCAS app, Leen? If you submitted your application about a month ago, I think you might have a decent chance of getting in, since they've rejected a lot of 'undesirables' by now.

I've submitted it about a month and a half ago. Hopefully they've putting me in the pile of candidates that they might consider :(

Congrats Forester, I'm still waiting for a reply from LSE.

I think my interview at Cambridge went well. At least from my point of view I performed well. I had quite a lot of stuff to say to their questions, and actually quite enjoyed the interviews. I had three of them, one concerning my history in general, my personal statement and my essays, one where I read a passage and then discussed some of its implications and aspects, and one more general one (at least in the last one the interviewer pointed out that IB is a tough programme, and I'm performing well, and have good references :P ). However, I think that in the last one she was trying to encourage me, because that was the interview everyone else had as their first one and was supposed to relax us (the interviewer thought I hadn't had my other interviews yet).

But I wouldn't go on to speculate my chances of getting an offer. It is very hard to evaluate my own success, especially since I don't know what they were looking for exactly. Furthermore I don't know the level of the other candidates, so I will just wait and see. At least I wont blame myself if I don't get in since I think I did what I best could.