Discussion about Uni Offers 2009

Forester

I think Cambridge sends the letters on 2nd January, but for international students it might take a while to get them. Some of the colleges might contact you by email, some might not. I believe you are allowed to call in on 5th January, but I think I'll rather read the results than hear them :D

Yeah they do, but in regard to Oxbridge UCAS is notorious with its delays. But it might be the case that your college will email you. If not, then either wait for the mail or call on 5th January.

I got my oxford rejection letter right before xmas and the UCAS didn't change for weeks. So you'll get your rejection (or hopefully acceptance ;) ) letter way before UCAS will notify you. It will either make you happy or sad to visit UCAS thereafter heh.

gl guys

Admission to medicine course at Otago University in NZ will be in July 2009 for IB MAY 2009 candidates.

Have to take the Health Science Course first for those under International Student Special Program (ISSP).

Requirement is 38 IB points inclusive the bonus point.

Otago only take 7 people from my college every year..

I never knew Otago was so popular with international students. To be honest, I think Auckland's medicine department is better, however it is just too competitive right? Many of my friends are going to Otago instead of Auckland because they say in the second year of Auckland medicine, they cut out 80% of students...

I've done my medical interview with Otago University, New Zealand last November. (the admission suppose to be in July 2009) The interview was pretty relax and cool since the interviewer is kind of friendly and we have kind of light chatting. It goes about for 30 minutes. No, such question as "tell me about yourself". He go straight to ask question like homesick, religion, why should we chose u (The last question)...

and before the interview end, he asked me if I have any question to ask. Luckily I have one.

The result was out and we were informed via email.

I'm not chosen.

At first, quite sad. But then, I believe that there must be other place that I can try my luck. :(

Now, I already filled up the form for IUMC in Ireland. Pray for this one.

Edited by avrila

I never knew Otago was so popular with international students. To be honest, I think Auckland's medicine department is better, however it is just too competitive right? Many of my friends are going to Otago instead of Auckland because they say in the second year of Auckland medicine, they cut out 80% of students...

Yeap. I heard the same thing about Auckland too. We have to really maintain our performance to survive in Auckland. I remember that my seniors who was not doing well in Auckland was sent back home. No chance to repeat paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had a nice surprise. Got my Cambridge letter well in advance (they were supposed to be posted on January 2nd). I didn't really have to time build that huge anxiousness waiting for the response. Anyway, I turned out that I did get an offer :D ! While I'm pretty much on air, I will soon have to face the harsh fact that they demand 42 points with 777 at HL. While not certainly an easy offer, I think I have a definite chance of getting it, just need a lot of quality work :D

Oh btw, for those waiting for their replies mine was posted on 27th and I received it on 31st and I live in EU (Finland).

CONGRATULATIONS!

OMG that's an absurd offer.

Thanks ^_^ Yeah, Christ's is known for being a bit funny with their offers. They make one third "easy offers" demanding you only to pass the examinations (I'm under the impression that most of those are for British students) and the rest what they call "realistic offers" which are normally above the normal offer in Cambridge. Oh well, at least I have something to keep me studying :D

@Drewrow: Many people who entertain the idea of going to Auckland University either live in Auckland or New Zealand, or a country close to NZ, such as Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia. It is ranked after all 65th in the world, and that makes it the "top 1% in the world", quoting their advertising campaign. The Auckland law school and med school would be the top 3 in Australasia, and perhaps top 50 in the world.

@Scade: Yes, I have heard they give out offers of EEE to A level students sometimes, to give them no pressure for their externals...

Dear Joel,

Application for a place at Trinity Hall

Thank you for your application to Trinity Hall. Unfortunately we have not been able to make

you an offer at the College at this stage. The strong competition for places this year has

resulted in many good applicants being squeezed out. However, we have sufficient confidence

in your abilities and potential to recommend you to the Inter-Collegiate Winter Pool, where

your file will be available for consideration by other Colleges.

You may, therefore, be asked to come to Cambridge for further interview at another College (or

interviews at several Colleges) between 8 and 10 January 2009. If a College wishes to

interview you, you will be notified by telephone between the 4 and 10 January 2009. An

information sheet about the Winter Pool is enclosed.

Not all applicants whose applications have been placed in the Winter Pool are called for further

interviews; some are made offers without a further interview. If your application is unsuccessful

at this stage, we will write to you again by the end of January. If you are an overseas applicant

you will be considered without being called for further interviews.

Dear Joel,

Application for a place at Trinity Hall

Thank you for your application to Trinity Hall. Unfortunately we have not been able to make

you an offer at the College at this stage. The strong competition for places this year has

resulted in many good applicants being squeezed out. However, we have sufficient confidence

in your abilities and potential to recommend you to the Inter-Collegiate Winter Pool, where

your file will be available for consideration by other Colleges.

You may, therefore, be asked to come to Cambridge for further interview at another College (or

interviews at several Colleges) between 8 and 10 January 2009. If a College wishes to

interview you, you will be notified by telephone between the 4 and 10 January 2009. An

information sheet about the Winter Pool is enclosed.

Not all applicants whose applications have been placed in the Winter Pool are called for further

interviews; some are made offers without a further interview. If your application is unsuccessful

at this stage, we will write to you again by the end of January. If you are an overseas applicant

you will be considered without being called for further interviews.

Good luck with the pool, it's great that you made it this far!