Discussion about Uni Offers 2009

Forester

Cambridge wouldn't have that low standards :) Well, yeah actually it would to some subjects and colleges. Well yeah, I know that some people with like 43 points haven't even gotten an interview there so it can be tough. I guess in the end it's a combination of luck and talent that decides the outcome. Pretty much eberybody applying can be qualified as talented so you do need that lucky touch of just having a good interview and other pieces clicking.

To those pooled, you might still have an okay chance of getting in. Since applicants are pooled under 4 different categories it is not an even competition. The categories are as follows:

1. We very much recommend this applicant.

2. We recommend this applicant.

3. Awesome on paper, not so much in interview (basically this is for those who got 7A*s or more and 95% in their AS grade bands).

4. For some reason there were problems at interview do to external circmustances. A new interview suggested.

I've also heard that some colleges do "strategic pooling" just to show off how good their applicants were this year :)

Anyway, I hope you do end up with an offer, and hopefully not as high as mine.

whoops I thought ezex said oxbridge.

@Scade: What if you didn't have an interview lol?

If you get invited for an interview during pooling, then you have around 50% chance of getting in. (UK residents)

Whereas the rest of us have 20%...

Edited by Forester

My classmate got an offer from Cambridge today in the post.

English Literature, 41 with 7/7/6 at HL.

Her mom didn't quite get that she'd gotten in when she called her, it took a while to sink in. And her brother hung up on her before she could tell him. Nice.

• 3 weeks later...
So far I got a 35 points overall (5 in Math SL) offer from Royal Holloway for Economics, International Relations and Political Sciences.

I also got a rejection from LSE for Government and Economics, they told me that although they require 37 points (and I have 38), they also want to see 666 in HL at least, and 577 is not a substitute unfortunately :P

If it makes you feel any better, most people with offers from LSE have much higher predicteds than offers. LSE has low offers to get as many applicants as possible, but they only choose the best, and here is where grades come in handy.

Btw why does LSE put ''low'' offers? Do they want to increase their revenue through application fees? :P

Application fees? Since UCAS charges everyone £17, I really don't think LSE is making revenue from that. The cost of applying covers UCAS costs incurred during the processing of your application. It goes to UCAS, not universities.

LSE isn't the only university that puts low offers, and then selects applicants that have higher predicted grades than what was originally stated. Edinburgh do the same thing, as do many other top universities. Exeter stated grades of 30-33 for Business Management this year, and sent people conditional offers of 35. If there are lots of applicants for a course, universities can raise their asking grades.

Edited by Vvi

They want students, so why wouldn't they read all the applications? If we were to pay them for reading every application, the fee would be way, way, WAY more than £17! I'm positive that that fee only covers the material and administrative cost of each application, and that all of it goes to UCAS. (In fact, I don't think it covers the whole cost generated by all the paperwork and computer system at all.)

It would be ridiculous for the universities to require to be paid to consider an application: who would ever apply if that were the case? I would refuse to pay for that part of the process for an application that may or may not be successful. Whereas I think it's fine with the administrative fee, just... ick. Ridiculous to require payments to consider all the excellent and less excellent applicants!

It would be ridiculous for the universities to require to be paid to consider an application: who would ever apply if that were the case? I would refuse to pay for that part of the process for an application that may or may not be successful. Whereas I think it's fine with the administrative fee, just... ick. Ridiculous to require payments to consider all the excellent and less excellent applicants!

Ridiculous or just... America? It's 70 bucks per application there I think. :P

70 USD is quite high. Its mostly 60 and it can go up or down depending on college.

But some other unis, i.e. swiss and canadian require even more. UBC requires 150 Canadian dollars ~ 120 USD

I paid $35 per program (Ontario); total of $280 for 8 programs. The MINIMUM you can pay is $105 though.

Just saw the offers post and someone received an offer for 38 points for medicine in the University of Otago in New Zealand. I find that offer extremely high and it rivals offers from many top universities in the UK. Any thoughts?

Forester, University of Otago does not offer medicine to any high school applicants. All high school applicants must first enter a course called: "health sciences year 1" After the completion of this course, will the university then select the top 10% of all students which will make up the new medicine class.

A normal offer for health science 1st year is always 24 points. However your friend must be very smart and must've obtained an excellent UMAT score (it's like BMAT) to recieve that offer. I don't think it's too high.. entry into medicine is really competitive. However, I must admit, Otago isn't a very good school:P. But it is quite famous for medicine here in NZ, locally.

Edited by MistyRose

• 3 weeks later...

I got an offer to Durham University demanding 38 points. I'm quite surprised by the offer, and the fact that it is easier than the one stated as their standard (38 points with 19 HL incl. 7 in history). Taking into account that it is for the most popular subject at the most popular college (Castle/University College). I'm pretty happy right now, I'd probably rather go there than KCL since London is so expensive. Although the nightlife might not be exactly at the same level, although clubs aren't really my thing, I like social partying more :D

This makes me relieved, if I miss my Cambridge offer I don't have to feel that bad :D