Math IA Question

YA99

Hey guys,

So Im a Math SL student and my IA is going to be about the Birthday Paradox. I already have the stuff in mind about what I am going to do but I want to add more, so please add any suggestions you guys have.

What I have so far:

• Discussing the Birthday Paradox itself and the math that is behind it.

• To compare the theoretical way of finding two people with the same birthday to a real example which is done by a survey.

• See how many people it would take to find 3 people and 4 people with the same birthday.

Thank you so much.

The points you have so far are good. However, can you provide more detail on the second point ("compare the theoretical way...done by survey")? Are you just going to ask people when their birthday is and then simply state the number of the people who have the same birthday? I would suggest looking into the math for selection committees and finding how many matching birthdays you can find for different sample sizes.

Another thing you can do is you can look at your facebook list of friends and find how many people have the same birthday.

One concern is have is this: So what? Why is the birthday paradox important? It's interesting but how is it important? If you can answer this question and provide lots of reasons for it, this will greatly improve your personal engagement score.