Sources for math IA?

Rey

I have just finished up the first draft of my math SL IA. I think it is pretty good. Not a 7, obviously, but good enough for me, who only needs a 4 in mathematics or an approved science. Either way, there is one thing I am very worried about. It is that I don't really have any sources in my IA: The situation that I am writing about is not anything that I can source or footnote, all my illustrations were drawn by me and all but one of the formulas I use can be found in our textbook and formula booklet...

So, is one source enough? My old math teacher had perviously said something about us needing at least five sources, but I can't find anything about that in our textbook (we use the Oxford's IB Math SL textbook) and since then we have gotten a new teacher with literally no IB teaching experience, so he is not really useful for the IAs...

If one source isn't enough, how many marks will I/can I lose for not having more sources?

If your IA has no sources, that's fine as long as you haven't overlooked anything. The concern here is you'll probably not score well on the personal engagement factor because you haven't looked at other comparable material that you can cite (thereby leading to no sources). There are some official IA examples where there are no sources.

In short, if you aren't worried about getting a high score then you're fine as long as you haven't overlooked anything worth citing.