Terribly Failed IOC

Aircoll

I recently did my IOC and I failed terribly. I'm not even expecting higher than a 9/30 and I am traumatized for life. I am not a literature student but I am hoping to at least boost my total IB score, however this is already a downer for me and I don't think I'm gonna get even a 5 in Language A. Is there any way that I can save myself or counter this disastrous result from getting me lower than a 5 in Language A?

9 minutes ago, Aircoll said:

I recently did my IOC and I failed terribly. I'm not even expecting higher than a 9/30 and I am traumatized for life. I am not a literature student but I am hoping to at least boost my total IB score, however this is already a downer for me and I don't think I'm gonna get even a 5 in Language A. Is there any way that I can save myself or counter this disastrous result from getting me lower than a 5 in Language A?

First off, sorry to hear about that :( How do you know you actually failed though? Because you could have done a lot better than you thought as well. 

Your exams are worth the most in IB English and you also have other coursework (if you're in Literature, you have the Written Assignment, for example), so you can definitely bring it up to a 5 (albeit you have to work fairly hard, but it is not impossible). 

Best of luck! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShootingStar16 said:

First off, sorry to hear about that :( How do you know you actually failed though? Because you could have done a lot better than you thought as well. 

Your exams are worth the most in IB English and you also have other coursework (if you're in Literature, you have the Written Assignment, for example), so you can definitely bring it up to a 5 (albeit you have to work fairly hard, but it is not impossible). 

Best of luck! 

Unfortunately, the IOC is 15% of the overall grade; the actual Paper 1 & Paper 2 external exams aren't worth a majority for language subjects, making up only half of the total grade.

A 9/30 in the IOC is definitely grim, but you can still turn things around with a strong FOA. Remember that IOC & FOA both make up the internal assessment component, worth 30%, of your overall grade. This means if you can get a 24/30 for your FOA, your overall IA grade will be 16-17/30, which definitely puts you in a possible range for a 5, so long as your Written Task & external exam papers are also fives. Also, it's percentages that matter, so a 17/30 is still only a 4 according to the boundary, but percentage wise, it's a 55%, which is actually already a 5 in English LaL SL (the boundary for a 5 in May 2016 is 54-66). If all your other components are around 60%, you'll still have plenty of chance of getting a 5.

Also as ShootingStar has said, your grades might actually be better than what you're thinking. It's actually something that happens to most people, that you always think you did worse than you actually did during the IOC. 

Hope for the best and don't despair! :) 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

Unfortunately, the IOC is 15% of the overall grade; the actual Paper 1 & Paper 2 external exams aren't worth a majority for language subjects, making up only half of the total grade.

A 9/30 in the IOC is definitely grim, but you can still turn things around with a strong FOA. Remember that IOC & FOA both make up the internal assessment component, worth 30%, of your overall grade. This means if you can get a 24/30 for your FOA, your overall IA grade will be 16-17/30, which definitely puts you in a possible range for a 5, so long as your Written Task & external exam papers are also fives. Also, it's percentages that matter, so a 17/30 is still only a 4 according to the boundary, but percentage wise, it's a 55%, which is actually already a 5 in English LaL SL (the boundary for a 5 in May 2016 is 54-66). If all your other components are around 60%, you'll still have plenty of chance of getting a 5.

Also as ShootingStar has said, your grades might actually be better than what you're thinking. It's actually something that happens to most people, that you always think you did worse than you actually did during the IOC. 

Hope for the best and don't despair! :) 

Dunno about you but my Lang A is Indonesian so its a bit different and the external assesment counts for a total of 70% of my Lang A grade. However, the examiner i.e. my teacher was really forward with me saying she was dissapointed and that I'd take responsibility for explaining the reason behind my bad grades before my parents go calling the school demanding answers from her. I can just hope at this point. Thx for the consultation tho ShootingStar and IB'ez

20 minutes ago, Aircoll said:

Dunno about you but my Lang A is Indonesian so its a bit different and the external assesment counts for a total of 70% of my Lang A grade. However, the examiner i.e. my teacher was really forward with me saying she was dissapointed and that I'd take responsibility for explaining the reason behind my bad grades before my parents go calling the school demanding answers from her. I can just hope at this point. Thx for the consultation tho ShootingStar and IB'ez

Nah it's the same thing. The IB definition of external assessments is the work being graded individually by an external examiner, whereas internal is graded by your teacher and then moderated by an external moderator. 

"External Assessments" do count towards 70% of your overall grade, but Paper 1 & Paper 2 combined are only worth 50%. The last 20% comes from your Written Task 1 (plus Written Task 2 if you're HL), which whilst are externally examined, (to me at least) aren't really external exams since they're stuff you can work hard on at home with consultations from teachers and peers, and that you still have time even now to work on. 

Hmm, alright. Yeah I mean, you're not in a great spot, but again there are still opportunities to make a difference. Primarily I think, through your FOA (the IB course requires you to do a minimum of two FOAs) and your final examinations in May, which means you also have 7 months to prepare for them. Practice writing a Paper 1 or 2 every couple of weeks and getting good feedback on them will easily net you a 5 at the end. 

• Like 1