Novembery vs May . . .. IB1 vs IB2

flame

Hey guys, I have some confusion with some IB procedures.

WHat is the difference between May and November exams. Can a student opt to take November exams rather than May exams? How are re-takes done, and who decides whether or not you can take a re-take. If you have a re-take, do you also have extra time to turn in missing assignments?

Also, what is the difference between IB1 and IB2. As far as syllabus, exams, etc.

Finally, how exactly does the certificate work? Do you get certificates for specific classes . . . how many points are required to earn a certificate.

I'm soooooooooo confused, please help . ... .

The 2 exam periods are for students in different timezones. For example, North American students generally take May exams since our academic year runs from Sept-June (approximately), while kids in Australia have a different school year so they may take November exams.

You can't take the November exams unless your school does, I believe. You can choose to get a retake, but you'll obviously have to pay the fees for it too..I think students usually get a retake the next exam period (so if you're a May 2008 candidate, fail an exam and you want to get a retake, you would write the November 2008 exam as your retake). I've never heard of anyone getting a retake for the whole course though, most people just retake the exam.

IB2 is a continuation of IB1..some candidates finish some subjects in IB1, others don't and take all 6 exams at the end of IB2. I finished maths and French in IB1, leaving me with 4 more subjects to complete in IB2.

Certificate is where you don't have to take all IB courses, do the EE, CAS, TOK etc. You don't get points for a certificate, you just choose which courses you would like to do IB for and the rest of your courses will be "regular" courses.

Thanks . . . that was informative. For the certificate, you mentioned that we can take any subject for IB . .. don't have to take all of them. The class that is chosen for certificate, what are the requirements for obtaining a certificate for that class. can someone get like a 2 and still get a certificate for that course (Ex. getting a 2 in history will still get me a certificate in history?)