Trump's Win

ari_zuchinni

At first I thought I was surprised, then I wasn't. Or maybe that's just hindsight speaking. The trouble with Clinton was that she was a politician running against someone who wasn't a politician - or at least one who repeatedly stated he wasn't a politician and would break the establishment, when many feel that politicians/the establishment is undermining them or not listening to them. Mixed with the fact that her past could be construed as... uh, not the best according to some. Of course, that's not the only reason: there are plethora of reasons, but I feel it's important to note.

It's easy to attribute it all to race/xenophobia/homophobia/etc, and whilst it's the case for some people it's not all the millions of people that voted for Trump, especially when you see there are some individuals who voted for him who would not fit under those categories. It's an odd thing, and all we can do is keep being good to one another and hope that he was just using the rhetoric to get into power.

Also, whilst we make it clear to people who feel their racist etc. opinions are validated and appropriate that they're not, the democratic party and many of the... contemporary liberals need to learn from their mistakes instead of exacerbating them as some have been doing. No one's going to support you if you immediately deem them racist etc. without even knowing them and their views individually. It's like me going up to you randomly and saying "You're a terrible person because of x feature you can't control/people with similar features have been noted to act in this way so you probably act like that too. By the way, you should vote for my party because it proves you're not a terrible person."

Apologies if this post is a mess. Slightly agitated + very tired + slightly stressed is not a good combination.

Also, sidenote: Tumblr, posting and reblogging the following image does not make people like you/the other side more likely to listen to your opinion.

tumblr_ogd6kbO2V11vx547ao2_500.png

Edited by Guest
Tumblr continues to annoy me (see what I did, the generalisation, yeah, that's how it probably feels)

I'm honestly in a big shock. I feel like this is a big slap in the face for all homosexuals, Mexicans, muslims, women, etc. in the US, due to everything Donald Trump has expressed about them. However, I can understand why people voted for him and I agree with everything apoello said. My old host dad in the States who's a Trump supporter posted this on his Facebook before the election: "Never again in your life will you get the chance to vote for someone who is not controlled by the government, vote Trump". This post basically sums up the reasons to why he got elected, or at least of what I've understood. Hillary is to them brainwashed by USA's politics while Trump isn't. On the other hand, I don't believe the US will be a successful country if Trump's going to run it like he runs his businesses, like he has claimed he will.

As licia said, it's quite shocking to see that a person like Trump be allowed to run a country, the fact that he wants to run it like his businesses (by the way many of them have gone bankrupt) does not seem like a good idea. I think the problem is that both candidates did not seem fit to be a president, and the other two parties (Green and Libertarian) basically had no chance to be elected because of the U.S's strange and in my opinion outdated system of electing it's President. And Trump's policies seem to be the complete opposite of America, a country that's LITERALLY been built by immigrants and it supposedly a "diverse melting-pot" of a nation; his ideas are just gonna set America back by 50 years and slow down progress. I just think that if America wants to succeed, it has to have a major overhaul of it's political system so it can be more of a  "government of the people for the people".

Annoyed. It just shows how the majority of the population of America is. I'm surprised that a homophobic guy that said people who have abortions should be punished, was caught on tape saying "grab her by the *****" and other disgusting things relating to married women at 59, allegedly sexually assaulted women, doesn't give a crap about equality was elected President. Nice. 

• Like 2

As someone who lives in the United States, it is difficult to find words to actually explain how I feel. I am still in a state of shock more or less. Some of that coming from the election and so of that coming from the riots in a few cities. I question how we, as a nation, elected this guy. Those of us who voted against him stand in solidarity with other like-minded individuals. 

I do not think any less of my country, at the moment as it is still my home. 

• Like 1

Wow! :) not a single comment mentioning how happy the student is about the election. I highly appreciate it. 

Although I am a Muslim and I don't like his attitude to the Muslims (I am not talking about zealots), women and some other group of people, I am going to say something good about his policies that I find interesting. 

As a future Economist (hopefully), I believe that his idea of lowering the taxes of the affluent people will be beneficial to America in the long term. The populist approach to this is that government should increase taxes for wealthy people and decrease it for poor people. However, by encouraging the rich people to come to America and continue their business in the USA, a government will actually benefit the poor people. Because they will employ the people and the budget will increase. 

This was not my initial thought about it, but after discussions, I found the plan reasonable.

Of course, I am not saying that he is a good leader. I don't like him and I find his attitude despicable. 

I am not American, but I have a few relatives there, in Louisiana who are second and third generation immigrants and my boyfriend could very well be the poster child of American video game nerds. Needless to say, all my relatives voted Trump, as they are working class, white, very religious and seem to have forgotten that their parents and grandparents have lived anyplace else than Louisiana. My boyfriend, as a Californian, voted for Stein, hoping that she'd get an overall 5%, knowing that Clinton's got CA either way. So, I have came into contact with all of the different types of voters in a way, except for the die hard feminists who'd vote for Clinton anywhere, anytime, but, then again, that is what I would have done, was I an American citizen...

At the end of the day, the results are what I expected. I wanted to be so, so surprised by them, but I really wasn't. Poverty, under-education, unemployment, war and religion are all factors that have made dictators rise in the past, and looking at the current shape of the US, it was almost inevitable that it'd happen sooner or later, especially given that the person running against the potential dictator is as unpopular amongst the undecided people as Clinton is... What I am surprised by is that she even got enough votes to actually beat him in the total number of votes. And, of course, the fact that you can get more votes than the winner, and that an election that was such a close call is deemed to be valid in the United States, inventor of democracy and freedom and equality...

• Like 1

I think that  America should probably give Trump a chance.Everyone on Facebook, Instagram, twitter and everywhere else on the internet are cussing about trump and talking bad things about him. Despite the fact that Trump is racist and discriminates other religions and people in general, he also doesn't pay his taxes, he slept with many of his students, but maybe he can make America great again or maybe he can start world war three, the point is that we never really know what's going to happen. Trump won presidency, majority of America chose him and about a month and a half from now, America is going to change. It's a shame that the presidency came upon these two people, Trump and Hilary, it's like choosing dumb or dumber. 

hehehe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ari_zuchinni said:

I think that  America should probably give Trump a chance.Everyone on Facebook, Instagram, twitter and everywhere else on the internet are cussing about trump and talking bad things about him. Despite the fact that Trump is racist and discriminates other religions and people in general, he also doesn't pay his taxes, he slept with many of his students, but maybe he can make America great again or maybe he can start world war three, the point is that we never really know what's going to happen. Trump won presidency, majority of America chose him and about a month and a half from now, America is going to change. It's a shame that the presidency came upon these two people, Trump and Hilary, it's like choosing dumb or dumber. 

hehehe

The majority of America did not choose him. The majority chose Hillary. But, more people from the higher amount of electors/capita states chose Trump. Get your facts right before arguing. 

That being said, I won't denounce Trump completely until I see what he can do as president. I hope to god he'll prove all my preconceptions of him wrong. 

8 hours ago, Amina13 said:

As a future Economist (hopefully), I believe that his idea of lowering the taxes of the affluent people will be beneficial to America in the long term. The populist approach to this is that government should increase taxes for wealthy people and decrease it for poor people. However, by encouraging the rich people to come to America and continue their business in the USA, a government will actually benefit the poor people. Because they will employ the people and the budget will increase. 

This was not my initial thought about it, but after discussions, I found the plan reasonable.

While in perfect economic terms, it does make some degree of logical sense to lower taxes on the rich it fails to work in the real world. The U.S. has done this twice that I can think of, once in the 20's and once in the 80's. The deregulation in the 20's led to the stock market crash and the great depression. The one in the 80's is colloquially called Reaganomics. It's trickle down theory, exactly what you describe (lower taxes on the upper class that will benefit the everybody). 30+ years later we are still waiting for that trickle down. The problem, in my opinion, is that this form of economics requires the capitalist to act not out of self-interest. A lack of taxes allows the capitalist no incentive to put money back into his company in the form of paying workers, etc. 

Starting in about the 30's to the 70's U.S. tax rates were high on the upper class. The result? We built an interstate, sent a man to the moon, increased the mass production of household items we take for granted today and other stuff. In short, life was pretty good. The higher tax rates forced companies to invest back into their company and hire workers. Also, the additional tax revenue allowed for building things like the interstate system. 

• Like 3

Americans, we're working on building that wall between our countries...

Honestly though, I would've been angry with Trump or Clinton winning, as I highly dislike both of their policies and I don't like their general attitudes. Trump, I think, is just one of two evils (I can't even decide which I dislike more) that would have become president of the US, though I must say, I was surprised when he beat Clinton by such huge margins despite the polls suggesting otherwise. With such a president-elect, America is definitely going to lose a lot of respect from many nations - I mean, he can't even deliver a proper speech! I did find it amusing, though, that in the last election, the theme was change and hope, but in this election, the theme was just change. Well, this will be quite a change for America indeed, going from probably the best president America ever had to, uh, what may be the last president.

On 11/13/2016 at 11:57 AM, Rey said:

The majority of America did not choose him. The majority chose Hillary. But, more people from the higher amount of electors/capita states chose Trump. Get your facts right before arguing. 

That being said, I won't denounce Trump completely until I see what he can do as president. I hope to god he'll prove all my preconceptions of him wrong. 

This is supposed to be a discussion and I wasn't arguing like you opposed. I just gave my my opinion about Trump winning. And you are right that I didn't get my facts right, cause I never follow up on news or information about the US election. Cause I ain't American, I live in the south pacific. I just made this content cause Trump happens to be an interesting topic that I want to know more about, even if I ain't American. Thanks Rey for correcting my mistakes. 

12 hours ago, ari_zuchinni said:

This is supposed to be a discussion and I wasn't arguing like you opposed. I just gave my my opinion about Trump winning. And you are right that I didn't get my facts right, cause I never follow up on news or information about the US election. Cause I ain't American, I live in the south pacific. I just made this content cause Trump happens to be an interesting topic that I want to know more about, even if I ain't American. Thanks Rey for correcting my mistakes. 

Sorry man, I wasn't trying to pick a fight. Like, I meant arguing as in arguing for a point, not like an argument kinda situation. I guess English B is just getting to me. And I only pointed out the thing about the popular vote results, cause for me, a person living in a European democratic state, it is quite astonishing how you can get more votes than anyone else and still come in in second place in an election. So I guess that with my bias, it was the most important detail of the story and I assumed that it would be the same for everyone else... Which is a mistake that ToK is trying to teach us not to make, but we still do, all the time. Sorry again if I came across as harsh.

Believe it or not, it wasn't like it was impossible, in my mind. In fact, I almost felt like it could happen. When I told some of the American friends I have that it's not an impossible concept, that Trump might win as president, they just laughed at my face. To be honest, when you've been keeping track of statistics and how political sciences work (even though it was kind of painful), you know for sure that it would happen. In fact, My predictions were correct, that Trump would win around 51%-55%, or even up to 60% in extreme situations, of the electoral vote. 

Sorry, I know it's kind of painful to hear such words from an outsider, but it's the truth. And last time I checked, truth hurts a lot. 

I don't really care that much for the election results as the candidates I followed did not make the nomination, but what actually shocked me, who didn't follow the election, was - and is - how hostile people get when other people express different political opinions. This even happened between supporters of different candidates within the same party. People are getting divorced, going no contact with family members over this election. I can't scroll down Facebook without seeing a generic 100-comment long heated debate.

Ultimately political beliefs are no different from religious beliefs and other personal preferences. Please learn to respect that. This system has worked for America for 200 years. Don't say that it's failing now. 

Edited by Empiral

• 2 weeks later...