Trump's Win

ari_zuchinni

2 hours ago, anishde said:

Well, the electoral college's vote has detracted a little bit more of my dwindling faith in American miracles.

Best case scenario? Trump turns out to be an excellent president, defying all expectations.

Worst case scenario? :headchop:

The electoral college is antiquated. It's ridiculous. The U.S. should use a popular vote.

I am absolutely baffled, yet I'm not at his victory. 

Seeing as he is an unsentimental businessman, who wouldn't know how to use - let alone spell - the word unsentimental itself, people naturally voted for his wealth.

Not his brains.

Various studies found that he uses very simple, 1 and 2 syllable words in his 'off-the-cuff' "speeches" which appealed to todays population. The population that only wants to handle 140 characters in a message, and doesn't even have time to elaborate their words (idk;ilu;gm;etc.). His language is so simple that it worked in his favour to attract votes. This is not because they liked his ideas; they simply understood his ideas. This is compared to previous presidential candidates using such sesquipedalian language that baffled their audiences. Donald Trump's language averaged out to the level of a 4th grader (the lowest) whereas Bernie Sanders averaged at a 10th grader's level!

I am now worried not only for America's future but also the world's future. Globalisation is fast increasing and if Trump is to implement such horrible, brutal policies and schemes that harm the environment and people (-> the great Mexican wall no one asked for; anti-Muslim ideas; violence against women (physical and mental -> rape, crazy abortion policies), a climate change denier heading the EPA (Environment Protection Agency), and whatnot)

Latest news has announced that Trump has won EVEN the electoral college votes. This means we are all doomed if Trump doesn't get removed from his position in some other way. Perhaps by means of another election soon!

I can only pray and try to raise my voice for mankind against this zenophobic and misogynistic man. 

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Gaurav19 said:

Perhaps the left-wing and liberals could've been protesting before the election happened.

There were certainly protests against Trump way before the election happened. Have you forgotten about how his rallies were cancelled because of the protests? Or how we would hear about him kicking someone out of the rally if they held up an anti-Trump sign?

And please

don't isolate the left-wings and liberals for all the protests, there are many conservatives and right-wing people who disagree with Trump and his policies.

1 hour ago, Rosalina said:

There were certainly protests against Trump way before the election happened. Have you forgotten about how his rallies were cancelled because of the protests? Or how we would hear about him kicking someone out of the rally if they held up an anti-Trump sign?

And please

don't isolate the left-wings and liberals for all the protests, there are many conservatives and right-wing people who disagree with Trump and his policies.

I am not a Trump supporter or anything... but the largest protests DURING the election campaign were barely in the thousands. Compare that with the women's march, which had more than 500k people in Washington alone. What's the point of protesting AFTER everything's been said and done? Hence, the failure of apathetic citizens in the US who are crying about Trump now.

2 hours ago, Gaurav19 said:

Perhaps the left-wing and liberals could've been protesting before the election happened.

You cannot protest the hypothetical. The left, as well as right opposition groups, made some noise during the election. We canvased again Trump's hateful message. But it was mostly about getting out person, Hilary Clinton, into office. 

Now he is in power, actually doing the things he sought out to do. Now that he has acted, the people have something to protest. 

5 minutes ago, Gaurav19 said:

I am not a Trump supporter or anything... but the largest protests DURING the election campaign were barely in the thousands. Compare that with the women's march, which had more than 500k people in Washington alone. What's the point of protesting AFTER everything's been said and done? Hence, the failure of apathetic citizens in the US who are crying about Trump now.

Trump lost the popular vote but the electoral college system. It is no longer protesting Trump for say, it is protesting his actions which violate the Constitution. It is protesting because Trump is running the country in a way that is contrary to the very laws it was founded on.

20 minutes ago, IB_taking_over said:

You cannot protest the hypothetical. The left, as well as right opposition groups, made some noise during the election. We canvased again Trump's hateful message. But it was mostly about getting out person, Hilary Clinton, into office. 

Okay.... so impeach your DEMOCRATICALLY elected president, who is fulfilling his campaign promises. 

22 minutes ago, IB_taking_over said:

Trump lost the popular vote but the electoral college system. 

I think this has happened 4 times before? No one cared before, so it can remain irrelevant.

25 minutes ago, Gaurav19 said:

Okay.... so impeach your DEMOCRATICALLY elected president, who is fulfilling his campaign promises.

Just because he is democratically elected, it doesn't mean he can go against the US Constitution, regardless of his campaign promises.

25 minutes ago, Gaurav19 said:

I think this has happened 4 times before? No one cared before, so it can remain irrelevant.

Ok, it's not really fair to compare the first three times this has happened since they all happened in the 1800s; we don't have the complete records as to how the reaction of the people was. Nor were the common people that invested in politics as they would be today.

The most recent example of this is George W. Bush vs Al Gore. It is incorrect to say people didn't care that George Bush lost the popular vote. There was a massive outcry at the time George W. Bush was declared the winner of 2000 Presidential Election; people protested at his inauguration and they did it again in 2005 when he was re-elected. 

• Like 1

In the most recent five presidential elections, the winner has lost the popular vote twice. I wonder when America will take this as symptomatic of a problem with not only the Electoral College, but the entire basis of its milquetoast, capitalist democracy. In 2000, when Al Gore lost Florida by such a minute amount, despite a relatively convincing overall win, it was much more pronounced. Fast forward sixteen years and again, Hillary Clinton won the popular by close to 3 million votes, yet Donald Trump secured an electoral college landslide. The biggest question should have been - What is the purpose of continuing to use such a broken system?  The problem should be self-evident.  The Electoral College makes it so that a New Hampshire or Florida voter has objectively greater influence over the election result than a New Yorker or Californian - simply because they live in a different state. If this is construed as democratic, I think that word begins to lose its meaning. 

More broadly, as someone who identifies with far-left politics, the utter and spectacular failure of the Democratic Party to produce a real, bona fide left candidate in the general election should be seen as a microcosm for the absolute dearth of a united left worldwide. The alt-right is gaining significant momentum. Even here in Australia, prominent alt-right candidates like Pauline Hanson and Cory Bernardi have the loudest voices. The left has no such political champion. The closest thing I can think of is Jeremy Corbyn in the UK, who faces opposition from his own party. I fear that the alt-right might just contain to gain momentum and be normalised more and more. In my perspective, if the left does not organise and take action, I fear the social conditions of our worldwide society might begin to resemble the rise of fascism in the 1930s.

Edited by aTeddy
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Gaurav19 said:

The reason why Clinton couldn't win was because the left and center remained fractured i.e. Jill Stein. Historically, this is how Franco and Hitler took power, Mussolini too, to an extent. 

Yeah, I agree that the reason Trump won is because while the Republican party was basically united, the Democrats were fighting amongst themselves and with the third parties for the candidacy. But I don't think Trump will last these 4 years, because there is something call impeachment, especially if he continues making executive orders and taking backward steps for America, he already has a big opposition at the start, even before being elected, and it's growing, even some Republicans are opposing his extreme policies by the way.

On January 29, 2017 at 4:36 PM, aTeddy said:

The biggest question should have been - What is the purpose of continuing to use such a broken system?  The problem should be self-evident.  The Electoral College makes it so that a New Hampshire or Florida voter has objectively greater influence over the election result than a New Yorker or Californian - simply because they live in a different state. If this is construed as democratic, I think that word begins to lose its meaning. 

To protect the interests of slaveowners and delay our inevitable Civil War?

-saw this response on another message board

• Like 1

On January 29, 2017 at 4:36 PM, aTeddy said:

More broadly, as someone who identifies with far-left politics, the utter and spectacular failure of the Democratic Party to produce a real, bona fide left candidate in the general election should be seen as a microcosm for the absolute dearth of a united left worldwide. 

The U.S. hasn't ever really had spectacular success with leftist candidates. Forget tyranny, this country was established by people who didn't want to pay taxes (and some other reasons that had little to do with "tyranny"), and that rhetoric largely has held fast throughout the U.S.'s history. That's more a reflection on the U.S. than anybody else, even if I agree with your greater point.

I agree that the Democrats are firmly leftist-centrists, which wouldn't be as great of a problem if the U.S. weren't a two-party country and the Republicans weren't crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I hate sharing my political opinion, I will just say this: one of the first things I thought of proceeding his win was how IB students in 50 years would be writing Historical Investigations on the extent to which Trump was successful in improving _____ reforms in the United States (insert name of political situation in the blank). When we started our HI's I was actually convinced that, if I could, I could write some sort of successful essay on Trump.

• 2 months later...

I grew up as a Muslim migrant in a town in Texas right after 9/11 and things were not always nice for us... there was only one mosque in town, right next to a church of Jehovah (the priest was friends with my dad, who was the imam of the mosque) and both my parents were studying in Uni (my dadd got his PhD from Texas Tech University). I don't want to go through some of the things the community and I personally faced (at school and in public), but we heard after Obama's election things got so much better for the treatment of the community back there.

Trump's rhetoric may have souded like hyperbole, but so many of the people in what I consider to be my hometown loved every word. You can talk about the politics of it, the liberal elite this, the white working class that, the economy... but nothing has a stronger impact on your opinion in such a debate when you wake up to find 'Go home sandni**ger' on the wall of your place of worship, or get told to go back to Osama's cave while shopping at a Target. That stuff makes it personal.

I almost never tie my emotions to what I choose to believe of follow politically, but for some people it becomes a matter of how you are going to be treated on a day-to-day basis, and when some rich, ignorant and distant man tells your cheering neighbors that he is going to disregard everything you've worked and loved for and kick you out or keep you from getting in, you don't really care how bad he and his followers make his opposition look. I think many carry that view.

I would have voted Trump had I could. I do not think the scheming, clever politicians who disguise moral crisis as trivialities and speak the empty words of liberalism while their policies hurt others globally are any better or preferable to someone who is blatant about the corruption and evil that infects the U.S government domestically and abroad. 

two things to talk about: I am not american. I am from hong kong.

1. I have no actual feelings about his win, not surprised too. But its good that hes more entertaining with a lot of new memes born and funny videos on youtube

2. The way he secretly 'disrespect' China makes me feel so happy. 'accepting the phone call from taiwan  = disrespecting china and admitting taiwan as a country on its own' is so good for me. Punishing this bloody communist china - the shi-tty government that blocks facebook, youtube and kill people eg 1989 massacre

3. fu-ck obamacare. This way the poor gets less healthcare resources. (people still dont understand this)

Edited by captain teemo on duty